[OFFER] Splash! (Spinnaker Software, 1988)

Yet another eBay find - this is Splash!, a VGA-centric paint program created by Spinnaker Software in 1988. Considering that VGA was only introduced in 1987 in conjunction with the IBM PS/2 line, this is a pretty early entry in the VGA-compatible paint program market.

The software comes on 4 360K 5.25" floppies. (The box claims it includes a pair of 720K 3.5" floppies too, but those weren't included in the package.) The first two disks contain the application software, while the other two disks contain a utility to capture screenshots (called whitecap) and some test images. There's also support for the Computereyes digitizing board, but I don't have one of those so we'll have to take the manual's word for it.

The program itself is actually pretty feature filled - it supports a number of standard paint tools, has a very nice zoom tool for pixel-level editing, an extensive internal help system, and can export images to TIFF and PC Paintbrush compatible files.

One major downside though is that the default canvas format is the only built-in one, and it has no ability to specify image size - you get a 320x200, 256 color image, and nothing else.

The images are available from here.

https://mega.nz/#!TslT2CwB!X5qf173HYM5uRBvC3FP9avLbWmKTqnfeycirHHu8YYs

(One big caveat - Windows 10 insists that there's a virus on disk 1. I can't actually find any evidence that there is one, and none of the files on the disk appear to be out of place/modified later. I don't have any DOS AV software installed to confirm a lack of viruses, but I suspect it's a false alarm.)

Disk scans will come a little later - I'll be doing those at the same time that I do the scans for Hello Charlie.

Comments

• Thanks very much.

Yes, your all disks are modified on boot sector.
    But you can fix it with Hex Editor on Windows.

I also have bought this package in 2019.