[OFFER] Novelty Hooters Screensaver from 1998

edited March 2020 in Offers & Requests

My uncle's friend won a floppy disk from Hooters in '98 by throwing his business card into a cup from a certain distance away. It sat in a drawer somewhere for two decades until I stopped by their offices a few weeks ago to pick up an old PC and he threw it in for free.

Here's a pic:

I have not installed this on any PC because I don't plan on using it as my screensaver, so I honestly have no idea what it looks like. Consider it a fun little surprise.

I know it's not the most exciting or groundbreaking discovery, but I don't know of anywhere else you can find this particular piece of abandonware. It might be cool to have for archival purposes.

Comments

• Even though it's just a screensaver, it's interesting for me. Looks like this is a standard 3.5 1.44 MB floppy, so you'll be able to dump it using WinImage and a standalone USB Floppy drive. Please dump this!

• I took a peek at the contents of the floppy using a USB drive, and it's literally just one file called setup.exe. I copied it into a folder, threw in a picture for posterity's sake, zipped it up and attached it here for anyone who wants it.

It didn't occur to me earlier, but there's a small chance the files on this disk may have been overwritten at some point in the last 22 years. The label on the disk tells you to type a:\hooters but if I'm not mistaken, you'd need to type a:\setup for this to run. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to test it.

• I tested it. Works fine.

• @jafir said:
    I tested it. Works fine.

That’s great! I would ask for a picture of it in action but I realize we’re talking Hooters here so maybe it’s better left as a surprise o:)

• Let's just say that it's rather... hot ;)

But yeah, I tested it out also, but on a VM.

• Nothing too risqué in my opinion. Very 1990s. I tried it on an XP vm first and it installed without errors, but it didn’t show up in the screen saver settings. Then I tried it on a 98 VM. It worked.