Compaq Armada 1700

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Compaq Armada 17000 laptop. I've installed MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.1

I have that solved. But, transfering software and games is a pain using floppies. Also, the CD-ROM is having problems reading CDs.

So I wanted to ask you if it's possible to use the built in USB port with MS-DOS 6.0. I would like to use a Kingston DT 101 G2 to transfer files from a modern PC.

The usb stick is formatted as a FAT volume and it's 512MB.

Thanks in advance.

Angel

Comments

• I have this exact same model of yours, but with Windows 95 OSR 2.5 Spanish, and I’m pretty sure no USB drivers for DOS and Win3x. I haven’t spotted anything as USB support for less than Windows 95 OSR2.

Obviously installing Windows 95 OSR2 or above will enable you to install USB support, so that is the recommended step to your problem.

Now, if you are keeping Windows 3.1, your best bet is to get a PCMCIA ATA flash card or even a CompactFlash card with a CF to PCMCIA adapter. You can install the CardWizard program and driver belonging to the model. And for file interchange between a modern computer and this one, you can get a CF to USB adapter. All these are very easy to find on eBay.

Perhaps it isn’t what you were expecting as an answer but I tell you because I happened to be in your same situation with an Armada 1575DM. It has a USB and Win3.1 installed, but I was never able to find any driver for the OS.

• After giving it a go on Google again, found this site:

http://www.dosusb.net/download.htm

I can’t say I would recommend installing those drivers on a DOS environment. I don’t know what shenanigans would show up and how they would let you down, but you can give it a try.

• Thanks, I think Windows 95 OSR2 will be the best option in this case. I tried some USB drivers for DOS and none of them worked on the Compaq Armada. They worked in an old 80386 PC with MSDOS 6.22, so I think it's the laptop.
    Now I'm using an IDE to USB adapter and I copy all the files I need. But it's no the most practical solution :neutral:

Thanks for the tips :blush: