[Request I think?] Would eComStation be ok to add here?

I mean, older versions as I know that newer versions may still be supported and I think you can still buy 2.1. I was thinking about 1.0 and 1.1 and stuff like that? If it is allowed, could someone post those versions? (I only have disc 1 of eCS 1.0).

Comments

• Adding to this, betas of eCS can be found..... I have beta 4 of 2.0 that could be added if it isn't too new.
  • The trouble is that even to install a beta, you need the licence keyfile. I have the beta of 2.20. It's very nice.
  • Ah yes, they do need the license keyfiles. But if they are older versions would it be fine to add the license?
  • edited November 2020
    DPlex64, eComStation 2.0 beta 4 was released on or before 2007-03-04... well within the guidelines here at WinWorld. I say add the betas of 2.0 and 1.0 release if we can find a download.
  • I found eCS 1.1 but I don't want to post it until we get green light from SomeGuy or someone.
  • I haven't been paying attention to eComstation. Are they still selling or supporting this? I've been hesitant to post eComstation stuff because this is the sort of product that does not change much at each release. If we can show a version is significantly unsupported, I'll think about it.
  • Quote from ecomstation.co.uk:

"While the domain name is still ecomstation.co.uk, we have stopped selling eComStation products as they have not been updated for some years."
  • edited November 2020
    Yeah I don't think it's sold anymore, and if it IS still sold then it must be newer versions such as 2.1. 1.0 and other versions like that are not being sold anymore I think.
  • eComstation isn't sold anymore, as far as I know. There is now ArcaOS continuing OS/2 development.
  • edited November 2020
    You're right nick99nack I'd have to say eComStation era OS/2 up to 2.0.x as of this year is fair game to be hosted, with 2.1 being eligible in 2021 and 2.2 being eligible in 2023 respectively.

The UK distribution site has indeed stopped selling eComStation, and recommends ArcaOS as an alternative.

The US website is still up but doesn't say it has stopped selling eComStation https://ecomstation.com
  • Yeah IMO that would be a good option, however I would like the opinion of an admin or someone before beginning to post download links.
  • The betas of eCS 1.4.1 and 2.0 can be found on the OSCollect FTP.
  • edited November 2020
    UPDATE: looks like almost all the links under where to buy are dead...
    with Blonde Guy no longer offering eCS for sale.

This most likely means eComStation is no longer sold, period.
  • Damn. Years back I had considered buying a copy, but that was one of those things I never quite could spare the money for.
  • I always wanted to use OS/2. Kind of thought I'd give eComStation a try at some point, but never found the time. I looked up ArcaOS and it looks pretty neat. But I can't justify the $130 price tag. I probably could if I was running a business that required it, but just playing around with it at home? Hell no.
  • The problem with eComStation and ArcaOS is that, they are a bit too expensive. That's why I wanted to ask if eCS, which is now out of support and not sold anymore, was fine to add here.
  • DPlex, that is effectively what abandonware is.
  • Well so archive.org link for eCS 1.1 https://archive.org/details/ecomstation