[Offer] Supercalc 1.12 for IBM PC [5.25]

This is a very early version of Supercalc, for the IBM PC.

The disk has one bad sector on track 0, which makes it unreadable (FAT is damaged). I made 4 dumps of the disk in SCP format and 2 in Teledisk, hoping that one of the would be good, but it was not the case.

I ran Norton Disk Doctor on a copy of the disk and was able to recover the FAT and the content. I then created a Winimage of the fixed disk. Maybe someone can recreate a clean image in SCP / Teledisk format, I don't have the necessary knowledge to do so.

https://mega.nz/file/vWo0DQwR#kp6guYCu6bLU2nFRvaIJp7q7_-gpVkhts7Kr8SLPQxE

Comments

• Very nice, thanks for sharing this. At a glance, that bad sector appears to be just unused directory entries, so yea, I can fix that easily.

I'll just mention though, that it is very risky writing back to a damaged disk, as there is a high probability of making things much worse. It is generally preferable to "fix" things using the dumped copy, not the original.
  • @SomeGuy it would be great if you could create a fixed SCP dump. Just for my knowledge, how would you proceed, do you use tools to directly edit the image or do you create a physical copy that you fix and then dump the fixed floppy with SCP?
    I intend to leave the original as it is, even if it’s not readable. I will create a copy out of your fixed image.
  • edited November 2020
    Since it is not copy protected, there is no major need to include a SCP image. I've reduced it to the "lowest common denominator", an IMG sector image, and since it is DOS 1.x formatted (won't open in WinImage) also an ImageDisk file.

To create a reconstituted KF or SCP image from these, all one has to do is drag one of these files to HxC and save as KF or SCP format.

If this were copy protected, we would want to focus on overcoming the physical reading issue, probably through careful disk cleaning and/or trying a different floppy drive.

https://winworldpc.com/product/supercalc/1x

BTW, if your manual differs from the 1.2 one posted, any chance of a scan?
  • @callmejack

Thanks very much for rare program.
  • @SomeGuy thanks for the new files and for the explanations, its always good to learn something new.