[OFFER] Quarterdeck QEMM 8.0 (German Version)

Hi,
i recently found some old floppy disks which included a copy of qemm 8.0.
This is the german version (registered) which is not included the library.

https://files.deaddrive.net/upl/QEMM8.0_GER.zip

Comments

• Thanks. Were these originals? If they were originals, any chance you could provide a scan or a readable photo of the disk labels?
  • edited June 2021
    @SomeGuy The disks are unfortunately not original. otherwise I would have provided some scans. also it's probably not even a copy of an original disc, since there is no "correct/full" name given in the installtion.

"This QEMM disk belongs to:"

but i can confirm that the software still installs and runs
  • Hi,

The fact that these disks are already branded has bothered me since the upload. Time to change that.

Using an English (unbranded) floppy, I found that the registration information is written to the INSTALL.EXE file on the first floppy.

Using a hex editor, I first compared the values between the INSTALL.EXE files of the English version (one unbranded and one branded) to see what exactly had changed.

In this case, it was just this one block.
    (left branded, right unbranded)

I then compared the branded English version with my German version and found the same area.
    (left english, right german)

Then I compared the unbranded English file with the German one. I carefully changed all the values so that the spacing, etc. was correct.

Voila you can now brand the floppy yourself.

Unfortunately, it was only during the writing of this text that I realised that I could have done it a lot easier.

For the German Install.exe it is sufficient to change the entry at offset 00001B99 to a 00.
    This tricks the setup into thinking that the disk is unbranded.

When you start the installation, Setup will still load the old values, but now you can simply replace them with something else. The setup will then update the entries itself

in any case, i am now happy :)
  • for those who do not want to change anything themselves:

https://files.deaddrive.net/upl/QEMM8.0_GER_owner_removed.zip
  • Very nice work. Thanks.