Microsoft e-mail services blocking WinWorldPC

Just for everybody's information, it appears that Microsoft's e-mail services (hotmail, outlook.com) are blocking WinWorldPC again.

If you wish to sign up for a Winworld forum account, please use a different e-mail provider.

If you really need to use Microsoft's mail services, please contact them and have them remove their block.

Comments

• Why are they doing this? I mean, WHAT DID WINWORLD DO TO MICROSOFT?!
  • @user27394967 Maybe some dumb user tried to post a Windows XP build here and they found out? 🤷‍♂️

Although, I wonder when was the last time Microsoft did this... and how was that resolved before they did it again.
  • Hotmail's spam filter is ridiculously aggressive. Perfectly legit emails from long standing and reputable domains, still wind up in junk.
  • edited July 2021
    I have a suspicion that on-line e-mail providers are devolving in to a half-assed mess where "free" users get only the most painful possible service. With the intent of promoting paid services, or just trying make everyone jump to toy smart phones/texting instead.

Anyway, they had been blocking Winworld a long time ago after Winworld changed servers, and the excuse was that the server IP address had previously been used by spammers. I was under the impression that a workaround had been put in place or it had been cleared up at some point. Perhaps not, but either way it is borked now and I don't know that there is much that can be done about it.

Anyway, just a reminder that any attempt to sign up for Winworld using a Microsoft e-mail address will fail. You will not receive a verification e-mail and will be unable to activate the account.

Also, do not attempt to contact the admin e-mail using a Microsoft e-mail address. We may get your e-mail but we can not respond. The response will bounce.
  • I have a suspicion that on-line e-mail providers are devolving in to a half-assed mess where "free" users get only the most painful possible service. With the intent of promoting paid services, or just trying make everyone jump to toy smart phones/texting instead.

Well, I can't say it would surprise me if Microsoft was purposefully gimping their free email to try and get people on 365. But Gmail is still really decent and free.
  • @SomeGuy - This raises a question - if someone wants to change the email address registered should they contact the admins or sign up for a new account?
  • If they already somehow successfully set up an account then yes, just contact an admin such as myself via PM.

If they tried to create a new account and failed to activate it, it is a little more complicated as the forum account is not actually created yet, but they can't create another account with the exact same user name. (In that case it may be simpler for the user to just to slightly change the desired user name and try again with a different e-mail address).

They can also contact us via the admin e-mail, however I don't check the admin e-mail every day, and I might be the only one who even looks at it. Also, again, we can NOT currently reply directly to e-mails from a Microsoft e-mail account. We may need some proof that the person owns the account. So either send an e-mail from the new AND old e-mail address, or at least include a properly typed non MS e-mail address for us to respond to.

Also BTW, admins can NOT change user names due to the way the databases are hooked up.
  • Just another reminder, Microsoft still seems to be blocking Winworldpc.com e-mails. This goes for outlook.com and hotmail.com.
  • Just checked again, they are still blocking Winworld.
  • Just tried responding to an e-mail from bellsouth.net and an error message that the IP is blocked. Haven't tried a Microsoft address latley.
  • Today I tried to e-mail an account on sbcglobal.net and the e-mail bounced as blocked. A mail to outlook.com also bounced as blocked.

Either avoid using these services, and/or contact them to have them correct the problem.

Remember, if your provider blocks e-mail from us, we can't respond to your e-mails sent to the winworld admin e-mail.

Also, just a note, I think we may still be having problems with accounts that have spaces in the name (no recent newly signed up account have spaces in the name). When signing up to the forum, avoid spaces in your user name.
  • @SomeGuy
    I think we may still be having problems with accounts that have spaces in the name
    In what way? Are these accounts unable to access the forum or something?
  • edited December 2022
    Exactly. It has been some number of months since I last tested it, but what it was doing was that the library and forum account will be created, but logging in to the forum will fail with the error "Signature invalid.". Some issue with the single sign-on.

Another issue I probably need to re-test is that the that the recover password feature was not resetting the "recently sent" status after resetting the password or after one day as it says it will. Effectively that meant after someone has used it once, they can not use it again. There have been a number of support requests regarding that.

I think there had been a bit of work on the site recently, but they never tell me what was changed or fixed.

• Most “Modern” things (such as some toys with a big touch screen and a billions of camera) never needs disk images or shareware. There are always someone wants you to buy “useful” hardware and software/service cost a lot.
  • Just a reminder, it looks like Microsoft mail services are still blocking mail sent from Winworldpc.com.