Comments

• Macintosh BIN files are archives that include both the file data and the Macintosh proprietary resource fork. They are intended to be downloaded directly to a classic Macintosh.

It isn't really easy to do that any more, so Winworld has standardized on IMG files, that can be used by emulators or flux-writers to create real disks.

Sometimes BIN files can be extracted on a Windows machine with Aladdin Expander, but this strips off the resource fork, which often leaves the files incomplete and useless.

For more information, see our "Formats" page:
    https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/10444/winworld-archive-format-information
  • Good evening, in other words, nothing can be done even by an older version of Linux that has such a program and such a feature?
    I would like to use them on the vmac mini and test them.
  • If your target is an emulator, you can inject .bin files in to a hard drive image using a drive image manager such as HFV Explorer.

Once inside the emulator, you will have to process the resulting files as per whatever file type they are. The linked images may be DiskCopy, Stuffit Expander, or self extracting files. However, creating emulator floppy disk images from within an emulator is usually a major headache, as most Macintosh emulators have very poor floppy drive emulation.

If a disk image file is uncompressed, it is often easier just to open the bin file in a hex editor and manually strip away the header/footers.

If a disk image is compressed (such as stuffit, or DiskCopy NDIF format) then the easiest way is to inject in to an emulator hard drive image, use Apple DiskCopy or Stuffit to convert to a "DiskCopy 4.2" format, then extract those converted files out of the hard drive image as "data only".

It is a royal pain in the ass, and the irony is that Apple created this mess to "make things easier". It is only easier if you never leave the tiny little Macintosh universe.
  • Thank you very much for your help I managed to decompress the .bin files with StuffIt. Now there are some other files that have the ending .image these how do I decompress them?

• Aren't the .image files the Mac OS install floppy images?
  • I'm not sure exactly to be able to answer logically yes these are the ones I downloaded from the above links I added in the first paragraph.
  • Those 7.5.3 greek images are totally corrupted. It looks like someone downloaded them from an FTP in ASCII mode.
  • In fact, what does this mean that it is damaged and there is no case of their recovery?