Windows 3.0 / 3.1 3.0 TestDrive

edited November 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows 3.0 / 3.1 3.0 TestDrive

Read the full story here

Comments

• I don't know why, but it asks for Disk1 when i have inserted Disk1 and Disk2 doesn't work as well.

• @WinCollector

No problem to install this on PC with EGA.

This demo doesn't install on VGA mode correctly.

(Only works with EGA graphic card.)

• edited November 2017

@WinCollector said:
    I don't know why, but it asks for Disk1 when i have inserted Disk1 and Disk2 doesn't work as well.

Installation on a VGA system causes this problem, as the Setup program, being designed for EGA, gets confused.

To install on a machine or emulator with VGA, edit the [display] section of the SETUP.INF on Disk 1 and add the line:

"vga = 1:ega.drv, "EGA", "133,96,72", , 1:egalogo.lgo, , , , 1:egalogo.rle"

This should fix it.

• @Erito17 Oh! There is now a VGA version!

• There seems to be a mislabel— the VGA version is labeled as 3.5” when it is actually 5.25”.

• Thanks for pointing that out. Corrected.

• @Erito17 said:
    There seems to be a mislabel— the VGA version is labeled as 3.5” when it is actually 5.25”.

it is now Labled 5¼ Floppy (Someone Relabeled it.)

• wont work in qemu, it says its not a system disk
    the files could be corrupted, fix it please

• What makes you think it is supposed to be bootable DOS system disk?

• @susone said:
    wont work in qemu, it says its not a system disk

Next time actually install MS-DOS and run it from there instead of thinking that all disks from Windows 1.0 DR5 is bootable. If you don't know how to install DOS/9x Windows builds then you probably shouldn't be running them.

• edited April 2018

@BF10 said:

@susone said:
    wont work in qemu, it says its not a system disk

Next time actually install MS-DOS and run it from there instead of thinking that all disks from Windows 1.0 DR5 is bootable. If you don't know how to install DOS/9x Windows builds then you probably shouldn't be running them.

Rightly said.

DOSBox could work if you don't want to install DOS first though. I've gotten the TestDrive to work perfectly there. Hope this helps.

• VGA version installs easily in Virtualbox, on MS-DOS 7.1.

• when typing win, the VM Crashes

• @NTXL351 said:
    when typing win, the VM Crashes

Please, bring more details. Hypervisor/Emulator you use? Also what config options you used? And lastly, what DOS version?

• edited June 2020

@Netcliff said:

@NTXL351 said:

Please, bring more details. Hypervisor/Emulator you use? Also what config options you used? And lastly, what DOS version?

i am using VBox and it's MS-DOS 6 used VGA Version

• @NTXL351 said:

@Netcliff said:

@NTXL351 said:

i am using VBox and it's MS-DOS 6 used VGA Version

Maybe the download is corrupted, or you should try MS/PC-DOS 5.00 with that config it should work well.

• edited June 2020

@NTXL351 said:

Make sure you have 16 MB or less of RAM on the VM. Windows 3.0 is known to crash when more than 16 MB of RAM is available and Virtualbox configures DOS VMs with 32 MB of RAM by default.

• The VGA Version has more downloads because VirtualBox & VmWare Don't support EGA, Use PCem Or 86box If you wanna use EGA.