Mac OS 7 7.5

edited April 2020 in Product Comments

imageMac OS 7 7.5

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• This is the last version compatible with Mini vMac, right?

• @Netcliff said:
    This is the last version compatible with Mini vMac, right?

Yes, Mini vMac for System 0 to System 7.5.5 m68k

Basilisk II for Mac OS 7.0 to Mac OS 8.1 m68k

Sheepshaver for Mac OS 7.5.2 to Mac OS 9.0.4 ppc

QEMU for Mac OS 9.0.4 to Mac OS X 10.5 ppc

• @jonirob said:

@Netcliff said:
    This is the last version compatible with Mini vMac, right?

Yes, Mini vMac for System 0 to System 7.5.5 m68k

Basilisk II for Mac OS 7.0 to Mac OS 8.1 m68k

Sheepshaver for Mac OS 7.5.2 to Mac OS 9.0.4 ppc

QEMU for Mac OS 9.0.4 to Mac OS X 10.5 ppc

O.K. Thanks!

• I got the bomb error while insertring the Mac OS System 7.5 first disk
  • edited February 2021

@Siloboy987
    Which emulator are you using? Or are you using real hardware?

• Though, I wonder why the 7.1 disks works and the 7.5 didn't? is it an upgrade for System 7?
  • It is possible that this specific disk set was not intended for all Macintosh machines. Apple was funny that way.

The 7.5 disk 1 will boot on a Mini vMac configured for a Mac II. But it doesn't seem to like Mini vMac configured for Mac Plus.
  • Also, one thing I noticed is on Mini vMac are that the 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 disks asks for the disks and the Hard Disk. (Or 2 Disks at the same time) then the emulator crashes and the disk gets corrupt. any fix?
  • Mac OS 7.5.5 works fine on mini vmac (mac plus). You may want to install Mac OS 7.1, then upgrade to 7.5 -> 7.5.3 -> 7.5.5
  • edited October 2021
    The Mac OS 7.5 Mozart 7.5.B2C2 unique "Welcome to Macintosh" screen
    With a nod to former US president Theodore Roosevelt.

• edited March 2022
    An interesting little Easter Egg in Mac OS 7.5. The Secret About Box, an arkanoid/breakout type game, where you get to "zap" all the 7.5 developers one by one.

• What ROM should I use for MacOS 7.5.5?
  • edited May 2022
    @helloisthispizzahut
    If you're installing 7.5.5 in Basilisk II, use a Performa ROM, In Sheepshaver use an Old World 4mb ROM.
  • And how do I use the Mac OS 7.5 "Capone" build in mini vMac?
  • @helloisthispizzahut
    You need the Mini vMac Macintosh II application and a MacII.ROM. Place them in a folder with the Capone disk (renamed as disk1). Then double click the application and that's it.
  • The Apple Mac OS 7.5.3 Revision 2 (3.5-1.44mb) here is actually Revision 2.2.
    The third revision in the Mac OS 7.5.3 revision series, it was released on August 5 1996 with the Power Macintosh 9500/200. It also came pre-installed on the Power Macintosh 6300/160 and Performa 6360.