Autodesk AutoCAD r12 (DOS)

edited May 2021 in Product Comments

imageAutodesk AutoCAD r12 (DOS)

AutoCAD, from Autodesk and first released in 1982, is a powerful Computer Aided Design tool. It was, and still is, often considered the standard for CAD tools. Primarily for the IBM PC platform, it was ported to x86 machines with higher video resolutions such as the Zenith Z-100 and NEC APC. Intermittently, versions for the Macintosh appeared. Later versions use a dongle copy protection.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I seem to be having an issue with AutoCAD r12 DOS. Disk images Drivers 2 & Region 1are not working for me. The majority of .img files are sized as 3-1/2" HD floppy at 1,440 kb. The files in question are sized 720 kb (could be 3-1/2" DS DD ?). I will look around on the forum to see if this is solved elsewhere (sorry in advance if this otherwise resolved).
  • Not working how, exactly?

At a glance, the disk images look OK. They are 720k in size. If you are trying to write these with a USB floppy drive, you either need a drive that supports 720k, or just resize the images to 1.44mb using WinImage.
  • hi - thanks for your reply. i'm sorry that i'm late checking back in to the forum, but found that your suggestion was what i indeed needed to do. i think i took the long way round, but effectively did need to re-size the two disks.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the image files - just my VM not wanting to mount the 720 kb images.

r12 installed and working. just like old times.
  • edited May 2022
    So far, I can't get the mouse to work because of DOSBox. I'll try another emulator. On DOSBox, some tips for installing this: First mount the Install & Executables 1 disk and run INSTALL. Choose Install all files (YES). Did you purchase the Advanced Modeling Extension? NO. There are a lot of disks, so pay attention, and maybe speed up your emulator.

To run, type ACADR12. This runs the startup batch file. (Running ACAD alone just seems to stop it dead.) For config, select any of IBM Video Graphics Array, SVADI Super VGA, or VESA Super VGA. The "digitizer" means mouse to us modern people, but DOSBox has a mouse problem. I'm guessing one would choose the Microsoft Mouse Driver. It's possible to draw with AutoCAD just using arrow keys and commands, too.

Update: Mouse emulation on 86Box works well.
  • Hello hello, I'm new; I'm DickDitty. I loved this autocad software when it was new. But, now I'm older and I can't remember so well. Which DOS version came with the advanced modeling extensions (Center of gravity 3D stuff)? I'll probably be running it on a stand alone FreeDOS box if I can locate all the pieces. It's just been too long to recall, I remember I wrote some automated LISP routines for the AME extensions of that particular release. I kind of lost some interest when they switched to the Windows platform. Thanks guys, and remember we are not senile; we just have a shit load more data to process than youngsters:)
  • Not working under VirtualBox in 6.22. Apparently, my display driver doesn't like the program and I can't even run it at startup.