Sun Solaris 7.x

edited November 2023 in Product Comments
imageSun Solaris 7.x

Solaris is a Unix based operating system created by Sun Microsystems (now purchased by Oracle in 2010). It is the successor to SunOS and was released initially in June of 1992. The OS is based off of System V Unix and its first release was known internally as SunOS 5. This OS was typically used on SPARC based processors, up until 1994 when it began to support x86 and x86-64 based machines. Versions of Solaris up until version 8 are considered abandoned, with version 9's support ending in October 2014.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited November 2023
    The 600mb download is actually X86 not SPARC, it also has the documentation CD but needs an additional boot floppy to work. The floppy is available from this archive ... https://archive.org/download/solaris7_1098 (Solaris 7 Device Configuration Assistant INTEL (702-4499-10)(Sun Microsystems, Inc.)(October 1998) [!].img).

Edit - Nevermind, the ISO is labelled with X86 but I have to assume its SPARC since I've tried it with a 486, P1 & P2 and it just instantly kernel panics as soon as you select CD install from the floppy
  • Well, thanks for checking. If I ever looked in to it, I probably just went by whatever some readme said. If anyone confirms any errors in naming, or problems with images, please let us know.
  • edited November 2023
    No problem I'm gonna keep testing today because I grabbed the files from Archive.org that includes both the X86 & SPARC files and it does exactly the same thing. I'm guessing its just really picky about what hardware it runs on.

Progress ...... 600mb archive is 100% X86 (so the ISO is labelled correctly). Turns out it is really picky about almost everything. It really dislikes anything above Pentium 1 though still might actually work because of..... AFAICT it REQUIRES a SCSI controller to boot. I must have tried 8 or 9 different combinations on IDE and always got the KP at boot, as soon as I swapped to AHA1540C it just worked. Few other quirks though, it seems to have PNP support but also doesn't seem happy with the BIOS set to PNP control, you must do a custom hardware scan and skip the Windows Sound System scan (it locks up the system 9 out of 10 times), best GPU (in 86Box) seems to be S3 Trio 64V+ (4MB), no more than 128mb of RAM, surprisingly 8GB HDD works fine and it does have very rudimentary support for Sound Blaster sound.

For anyone in the future..
    86Box, Socket 8 (I used I440FX), Pentium OD MMX @ 200Mhz, 128mb RAM, Adaptec AHA1540C, S3 Trio64V+ (4mb), 8GB HDD on SCSI 0:00, 72x Sony CD-ROM on SCSI 0:01, AMD PCNET 32 (I used slirp as I'm on WiFi) and if you want, any ISA Soundblaster (Non PnP). Just make sure the SCSI and SB are not both using 0x300, any SB with MPU401 support wants 0x300 and it conflicts with the SCSI host.

As I said below, you need the boot floppy to actually boot, during setup you should do a custom scan and select what you need, make sure to remove Windows Sound System or it will crash, networking doesn't really work so adding a NIC is optional, sound support exists but nothing included on the CD makes use of it anyway and I'd recommend skipping X setup during install as if you make a mistake it will init the display then freeze at a black screen and you have to restart from the beginning. After its installed just run kdmconfig to setup X.

Good luck & HF.

Final Edit....

To actually run X you need to create a new user:
    groupadd groupname
    ^ obvs change groupname to what you want
    useradd -g groupname -G adm,sys -s /bin/csh -d /export/home/username username
    ^obvs change username in both instances to whatever you want
    passwd username
    type new pasword twice and hit enter
    chown -R username /export/home/username
    chgrp -R username /export/home/username
    cp /etc/skel/local.cshrc /export/home/username/.cshrc
    cp /etc/skel/local.profile /export/home/username/.profile
    cp /etc/skel/local.login /export/home/username/.login

then logout and login as the new user and OpenWindows/CDE should boot automatically.

You can get OW to run as root by create a /root folder, editing /etc/passwd and changing roots home to /root then copying all the local. files from /etc/skel to /root as with the normal user.