PPPoE and FTP server... Does it work?

edited June 2004 in Software
I have a ISP that says "No, no! No servers!!" I have a PPPoE connection to my ISP and the Username and Password i stored in the modem... The modem has its one IP, so i can

Comments

• Alot of ISPs say "No serverers!" but unless you're running an majorly illegal server (EG. Z, kiddie pr0n, etc) they probably wont go after you for it.

The best thing I can think of is to buy a router from CompUSA or similar. But if you've got Kerio working OK, forward ports 20 and 21 to the machine with BPFTPSvr running on it.

-Q
  • I have done that. My modem has IP 192.168.2.2 and that IP Goes to my public IP 81.XXX.XX.XXX... The modems IP is blocking my abillity to host a server, my computer says that my public IP is 192.168.2.2, totaly wrong! So, i saw on a site that i can put my modem in bridge mode (not PPPoE dial, like its now) and use a program to connect to the ISP instead of the internal modem "dialer"... I have downloaded Sympatico Access Maneger, but i dont know how to use it. I really need to put up the server so i can host round 1000 Mac games and about 150 Mac programs and OSes for download.

//Mr.Macintosh
  • Most DSL setups are PPPoE based. Before I got a router I used a 5 port switch and used a crossover cable from my DSL to the frist port on the switch and used straight cables for the rest of my computers on the switch. Then I installed the Bellwouth software and DSL drivers on the server. This gave my DSL modem its own IP and such. The DSL used 192.168.0.1 and my server used 192.168.0.2. Then I installed Wingate 4 and set proxys on 192.168.0.1 as the primary device for internet access. The rest of my network edned up using werid and strange IPs because I didn't have a DHCP server set. I installed the Wingate client on every PC execpt the server and it worked just fine. After six months I was sick of Wingate because it limited me to a few things. I had to use a proxie on everything. But my advice is you only want to try this is if you don't have cash for a router. I would get a TRENDNET DSL/Cable router. It works perfect for PPPoE based DSL.
  • Yeah, My router even supports that I think.
  • Yeah my ISP (Verizon) says in their terms of service "No server whatsoever" But if you call tech support and ask - they say you can, but if you mess up your computer, its YOUR fault, not theirs... YOUR problem is you dont live in the land of cheap unlimited internet, so you may find that once you hit 60GB, your accounts suspended untill the next month. I know I upload several GB a day sometimes, AND host this forum and WinWorld's site... and my ISP hasnt complained... even when I mentioned it to them... But I wouldnt use a direct PPPoE connection, something like blaster or sasser will own you if that happens... Id just use a router :P
  • I installed Red Had 8.0 and started NAT on it... Much more stable then NT 4. I threw away my PPPoE modem and switched to a "regular" broadband modem. The computer is now "dialing" the PPPoE protocol to my ISP and it works good! Faster and more stable then NT 4!
    Now... How do i set up a FTP under Linux? KDE and all server RPMs are installed. I have 20gb of ABW Mac software i want to share with all of you (nice, eh?).

//Mr.Macintosh
  • Well you need the FTP server program.

Get tthe RPM file (for RH that is) and open the console ad go "rpm --install /(location)/file"
  • Where can i download this FTP server program. Is it on my RH8 CD's?
  • OMG (takes deep breath)

there are MANY different kinds of FTP server software. :-P

just google for one.
  • REdhat should have a program that can reinstall Linux components. Find it and install the FTP server included with Linux. Ther SHOULD be one with redhat.

becuase theres alays 3 installs, workstation, server, and custum.
  • Dude, just use Windows 2000 or NT4... Linux sucks for those things.
  • How?

Servers are Linux at its best.

Notice how Linux servers can run months at a time?

Sure, you gotta configure some stuff, but if you know what your doing, its alright.

So...what wrong with Linux for servers?
  • Notice how Tomchus Windows 2003 server runs for months at a time? He didnt have to configure anything, and he sure as hell knows what hes doing, and hs is fine.

So why bother with the slow, incompatible OS when you dont need to?>
  • Excuse me? WinWDCS has been running for FIFTY FOUR DAYS, I'd like to see your Windows do THAT. If he want's to us Linux, that's his privelege[sic], remember, you said you'd go Linux of LH really was that horrible.

Anyway

For HTTP, I'd recommend Abyss WS (http://aprelium.com/)

For FTP, my flav comes with ProFTPd, you can try that.

And as IBM said, try Googling 'Linux FTP server'

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    WinWDCS has been running for FIFTY FOUR DAYS, I'd like to see your Windows do THAT.

http://www.tomchu.com/index.php?page=status

48 days, Windows Server 2003 Standard, Celeron 366, 256 MB RAM

What was that about Windows again?
  • I think this deserves an "Own3d"...
  • LOL. Yes it does.
  • 54 > 48, now 56. And you we ragging on Fish the other month for liking Windows, you 2 have the most shifting alliances of any ppl I think I can think of!

-Q
  • Okay, so to associate that with your previous statement ...

You're saying "trying getting 56 days of uptime in Windows."

If 48 isn't good enough for you, http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.tomchu.com. Check the max uptime. 55 days. Add 2 days to that (Netcraft is always about 2 days behind for me), and you get 57.

This really isn't important, though. You made your statement thinking that Windows can't stay up for that long. Think again. LOL

Oh yeah, and where was I ragging on Fish for liking Windows? I've always liked Windows. Nothing wrong with it. FreeBSD probably makes a better server, but so what? I refuse to run anything other than Windows on my desktop/laptop. I'm thinking about FreeBSD for my server, mostly for learning experiences, as I'll be setting up and admining two enterprise-level servers soon, so I need the experience with a BSD.
  • Windows, if left alone, maybe can go that long, actively used Windowses seem to go South. Unless you've deleted it, err, that was probably someone else. But then again, actively used Linuxes may go South as frequently as Windowses do...I've never really screwed my WinWDCS as it's semi-mission critical. Hmm... You refuse to run anything but Windows, wow, I'm not the closed minded, or am I, I'm tired, I'm going to go away and leave me alone.

-Q
  • Well, of course an actively-used OS isn't going to stay up as long as one left to itself to serve a task. It's just the way shit works. Nothing is perfect I suppose.

In my opinion, if it's a server, it's a server. Don't use it, don't mess with it. That's why my server is just a small box sitting in the corner of my basement, with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse attached.

And it's not that I refuse to run anything but Windows ... it's just that I prefer Windows for most things. :P Like I said, FreeBSD is starting to look attractive, but I need to learn it better first.
  • Alright, I'll fun with Linux and Xenix until something else is good enough to use.

-Q
  • Like FreeBSD? :)

Hehe.

BTW ... Xenix is over 20 years old. I highly doubt you're using such an OS right now, let alone owning the hardware to run it. :P
  • T0mchu wrote:
    Like FreeBSD? :)

Nope! WAYYY off!

-Q
  • Why is that?

FreeBSD is clearly a superior OS to Linux.
  • I said I have something in mind, that's neither of them. I'll use it when the time comes and it's not FreeBSD, and I don't care whether or not you think FBSD is better or worse then Linux.

-Q
  • Mmmkay, fair enough.

What's this OS you have in mind, out of curiosity? :P
  • Really... Lets not fight about OSes... RedHat stoped working after i updated KDE. Im back with NT 4.0 utill i reinstall RedHat or FreeBSD... :(
    I dont know how i will do with the server in NT 4.0... I have a speedy 26mbit connection... (dance) I will probably use BulletProof FTP in NT and some other in *nix OSes.... I have a beta of Windows 2003 server, but it will not run on my Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz. I dont really like Win2k or XP...

//Mr.Mac
  • Chances are the FTP server is already installed. The FTP servers for linux are a bit diffrent then most that run in windows. Make a user on for access on your Linuxbox like for a example

adduser

Try not to give the user BASH control.
    Then simplie get someone to try accessing it.

Also if you use the default directory setup the directory would be /home<user>. <user> meansing the user name you want to use. Also on further note, do not use the ROOT account like a user. People can easyly see your password and take over. If you needroot access and your using a standard user just use the SU command.