Networking Windows XP and 95

edited July 2004 in Software
This is quite interesting. I got it all configured and everything, firewall is disabled on the 2nd NIC which 95 is on and I cant seem to get them to network.

Hell, I cant even ping.

Once again, give ideas that are actualy usefull, dont tell me go to go install Windows XP :-P

Both are using static IP Address's one being 192.168.2.200 and the other 192.168.1.201

Comments

• hmmm, i had that smwe problem. Are you using a router /hub or a Corssover cable? Is the drivers working?
  • Crossover cable

Cant be the cable because I already tried 2 extras.

Drivers are working just fine
  • Umm... are you entering the XP's IP as the gateway in the 95?
  • nevermind, I got it.

I dont know what was wrong, I didnt change anything, I just turned it on and started working.

I just made a network bridge and ready for it to run.
  • Hmm.... oh well.
  • OK those IPs will NOT work if they're Class C.

Make on 192.168.1.x and the other 192.168.1.y. If you're using 192.168.z.z the 3rd octet (The 1 in the example above) MUST match on all machines on that segment.

-Q
  • I was going to say that, but thought I was wrong and would get an inflammatory response.
  • Ooohh.

I tought they just had to have the same last #'s.
  • IN 192.168.x.y netwks, the 1st 3 have to be the same.

-Q
  • EDIT, In my first post, Its 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.200. NOT 2.200!

PS: Its still not working right. My 95 box can ping the XP box, but XP cant ping 95.

95 and XP cant see each other in the network nieghborhood.

I even go like \\192.168.1.200 and that wont work either.
  • I have that same problem in my network, um all I can say is disable ur firewalls on both computers and see if that works, it happened to me, but I reconfigured the firewell to allow all IPs within 192.168.1.* (well that is mine)
  • \\%SERVERIP% is only if you have filesharing. If you can't ping, there's NO way that'll work.

-Q
  • I have that same problem in my network, um all I can say is disable ur firewalls on both computers and see if that works, it happened to me, but I reconfigured the firewell to allow all IPs within 192.168.1.* (well that is mine)

I already disabled the firewall :-P

I checked over EVERYTHING. Its setup JUST like my 2000 box which used to have 2 NICs. .

ITs not the cable or NIC becuase once I turn on network bridge, I can see my LAN, BUT I cant connect to the XP machines proxy server, so Im not gonna use Network Bridge