newbie question

edited August 2004 in Software
i just tried out fedora core linux (my first distro) and when i tried to install a .sh file, i got the error "the script needs uudecode to run properly" i cant seem to find any way to fix this. is it an error caused by transfering something using binary when it should have been ASCII or something? *puts up acme flame-retardant umbrella* thanks for any help

Comments

• Download this. and install it (I assume you know how to install a RPM) and try again.

-Q
  • "Congradulations ! Nessus is now installed on this host" thanks!
  • Sure!

-Q
  • are there any other things like sharutils that i should get that alot of programs depend on?
  • I wouldn't go clogging yourself up with librarys. If a program gives you an error ('X' isn't installed) or something like that, goto http://rpmfind.net/ and search for it. For Architecture say i386 to narrow it down. You should use RH9 packages if @ all possible, if you're desparate SuSE ones will serve.

-Q
  • Wow, I have a lot to learn in the world of Linux!
  • thanks alot Q i really appreciate your help
  • One problem though, sometimes you can get errors when installing RPMs. Like when you try to install a RPM you get a error saying. Cannot find glib 0.0.0 and crap like that. Even if you already have it installed.

Also you can get a checksum file error when you try to install one. Theres a command to bypass that though. I don't know it off hand. I try to avoid RPM files. I always use the source tarballs.
  • i have learned a few things about linux so far since you gave me that great advice, but now i find that alot of libraries cannot be found on rpmfind. if i use source taballs to install will the program depend on these same libraries? and one more thing, whenever i cd into the extracted folder from a tar.gz of a program i want, then run ./configure && make && make install, the program only works like half the time. any suggestions?
  • Just run the commands one by one. It will help out on skips and such on the build.
  • yeah that helped thanks once again!