help installing suse 9.1

BODBOD
edited August 2004 in Software
i just finished downloading suse 9.1 personal. when i come to install it on my server, it says there isnt enough memory to run Yast, it then asks me if i want to create swap space. it then comes up with a box asking me to type in a mount point or something like that. with eg "dev/hda1"

anyone know how to progress with this?? cos im a linux newbie

Comments

• For a partition formatted into Swap filesystem, use moun point "SWAP" (no quotes in). For main partition, enter a mount point "/"
  • Are you running with a blank hard disk?

-Q
  • If with a blank, first you should create a main partition and a swap partition.
  • But I was just asking so I could give him good advice. If there was something on this disk it would be infinitly mor complicated and I wanted to make sure I didn't go telling him something that wasn't gonna be necissary[sic].

-Q
  • there shouldnt be any partitions on the disk... i used fdisk to get rid of them
  • edited August 2004
    Run the Linux fdisk program and select type 82 and then save and exit.
    If you want to make a Swap partitiion or a swap drive just use the "mkswap" command. So the command should look like this.

mkswap /dev/hda2

Then run this command.

swapon /dev/hda2

For the swap to be turned on at boot time add in the file called fstab in the /etc directory

/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

Center things up so it looks even with the rest of the listings in the fstab.

http://www.grape-info.com/doc/linux/root/swap.html
  • Oh, I forgot ti mention if you want you can make a swap file instead of useing a partition or a seprite drive.

Heres a example on makeing a swap file.
    Run in the command prompt or the X-Term the following

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=65536

mkswap /swapfile

swapon /swapfile

In the file called fstab in the /etc directory to enable the swap file on boot time just add the following.

/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

Very simple.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... dding.html
  • OK, this is why you can do back and edit old posts, the 2nd one was pointless.

-Q
  • Hows the seond one pointless? Instead of making a diffrent partiton you can always use the image setup so if you ever put in more memory you don't have to repartition.
  • Making a 2nd consecutive post is pointless when you can edit into the previous.

-Q
  • The reason why I made two posts is because so I don't confuse people with the swap partition and the swap image.
  • Then make the difference clear in the post.

And I'm not gonna reply to whatever you claim as this is a support thread ::oops:

-Q