i killed IE

2»

Comments

• Switched what on your laptop?
  • I said I switched PCs, on my laptop, etc, etc.
  • Oh. I think I get it, not sure though.
  • Yes, now Im on another, it verys. Im on 2000 W/ 256Mb now. 5 minutes I can be on NT4 with 80MB, 98SE with 96Mb (dont start -_-).......you cant guess!
  • (on topic)

There's a program around that will swap out MSHTML.DLL and...the other one for a Gecko (Mozilla) version. It'll change most EXEs to use the new version(had to change some hooks into the DLL).

So, you don't need to kill IE, just replace it with the Mozilla engine.
  • OMFG that "owns" if it works!!

What's the name of the program?

-Q

PS. I'll still prefer Ffx, but when I HAVE to use IE it'll make me feel better that I'm following standards.

PPS. Maybe someday they'll be able to swap out IE altogether and integrate Ffx with Windows!!!
  • Damn! that couldn't be! It's a trap! All Windows apps use IE for their web engine!

P.S. And if it's true TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT!!
  • So wait, is there a way to get IE completely outta Windows XP?
  • If nightice's upper words are true, than it's so!!
  • http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

Notice a little more than halfway down, it says it'll work in any ActiveX control container...including IE!
  • This isn't getting IE out of XP, it's replacing IE's "Integrated" HTML renderer that things use replaced with the Mozilla renderer!!!

If this doesn't fuque Windows up it will be amazzing!

-Q
  • Whats it DO?

Like, whats the POINT.
  • Nothing, really, just another way to Q Special!

-Q
  • I don't want to use Mozilla or anything else, I just want IE completely gone..

i find it so fucking dumb that in the Add\Remove Windows component you click IE and it only removes the icon! what the fuck! a US judge or court shoulda did somethin bout that...lol
  • Well, wait a few years and install this,

-Q
  • Windows would be much better if you can replace say like IE with FoxFire. Not just for surfing the web but everything that IE did in windows.
  • That's what this is aming to eventually accomplish.

-Q

PS. It's firefox not foxfire.
  • This only appears to use Mozilla to run IE's ActiveX. Whats the point anyone? None that I can see :P
  • OK you seem to have misunderstood, this replaces the part of IE that's "Integrated" into Windows. So normally AIM uses IE to get those annoying ads. With this it would use Mozilla somehow to get them. And other apps that used IEs Integrated-into-Windows functions would use Mozillas instead.

-Q
  • Well, that trick can possibly work in windows 98, or maybe, 2000, but won't work in XP, cuz web integration in XP gone crazy!!