WinXP: Ctrl+Alt+Del

edited September 2004 in Software
I learned how to enable the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing beofre you login. If anyone wants to learn, read on:

1. Open the Command Prompt
2. Type in control userpasswords2
3. Goto the Advanced Tab
4. Check the "Require Users to press Control Alt Delete"
5. Make sure the Welcome screen is not enabled.
6. Logoff and check to see if it works!

I have posted this to help the users in XP Home to get a feature in 2000Pro, and XP Pro.

Comments

• Thats simple

I dont like that Ctrl Alt Del thing, whats the use?

It just prevents the guest from typing in shit into the logon. The only way Ctrl Alt Del is usefull is when you have no password and you accidently hit enter
  • Thanks computerman2000
    I as a Home user thank you for even thinking about us.
    There's probably a lot more. I'm not sure of the feature
    I already have control alt delete that gets me my
    task manager.
    I'll have to think about it in the morning.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • Note: Whether or not you enable that feature in Home, you should always be able to access Taskman buy pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

-Q
  • Yeah I knew that too. I always use Ctrl+Alt+Del thing. Because my first os after DOS was WinNT 4.0 and i like its traditions!
  • I like the CTRL+ALT+DEl thing really works for me. Now I don't have my cat always logging in my PC.
  • Isn't it supposed to kill process that could be logging your password, too?
  • Thanks for the small lesson. Don't know how it adds "added security" though...your just pressed 3 buttons then logging on normally...but then again, you can never depend on Microsoft for security.
  • adds security when you dont have a password at all.

TcH needs to set a password ;-)
  • Ctrl+Alt+Del is PCs version of the Secure Attention Key. It's controlled by the keyboard controller and BIOS, hence only the OS kernel can tell when it's been pressed. When Windows get a CAD NTOSKRNL tells WinLogon and MSGINA to do thier thing. It's secure since no other program can know when CAD gets pressed, what you see HAS to be the Windows login prompt, not some keylogger or something.

-Q
  • FINALLY! I LOVE that thing! God Ive wanted it in XP for AGES!
  • I remember it being used in my middle school alot...thats when we had NT 4.0 workstation and IE 3 or 4...hahaha
  • its in security policy too....
  • FINALLY! I LOVE that thing! God Ive wanted it in XP for AGES!

You never had this? I've had it for ages... it's right in there somewhere, isn't it?

Apparently not. I have this on one of my systems, I guess it's from when I had my domain log in.

Thanks for explaining the security of it, Q.
  • if you upgrade from 2k or NT you get it...
  • Hmph... I usually don't do upgrades.
  • Yeah, they seem to take up more space than a full install

The only upgrade I ever did was where you just pop in the CD from an earlier Windows version
  • Actually I did one once... Upg'd the old laptop from 95 to 98, but later undid it.
  • i had to upgrade cos i copied the files of the cd... but if im on a normal system i dont upgrade...
  • I think it's just easiest and better to start with a fresh slate.
  • yeah. but i have no ext cd drive for my laptop... i m gonna get a ext drive caddie and copy the disc across and use a bootdkis
  • I know quick restart.
    Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Del. Worked in NT 4.0.
    But first you need to tweak Windows with X-Setup and enable that option.
  • I know a quick crash in NT! RightCrtl+Scrollx2! But like that one you have to enable it in the Registry.

-Q

PS. Looks who'se getting Support threads off topic now ::roll: !
  • I knew. You can enable it using X-Setup
    http://www.x-setup.com
    It works in NT/2K/XP/2003 and is called manually initiated crash!
  • I call it "Death before dishonour" as that's how I find it usefull.

-Q
  • Control+Alt+Delete can be enebled by opening 'Administrative Tools' in Control Panel, click Local Security Policy, Log on Security, enable Passive or Classic Logon

-Headbanger013
  • too bad that only works for Windows XP Pro.

Why does MS try and hide that "Ctrl + Alt + Del" thingy?
  • Because for "Home" (AKA Unavdanced) usrs, it's not really necissary.

-Q
  • Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2
    That's where you can enable this in WIndows XP Home.