AIM 1 16Bit

edited September 2004 in Software
Thanks for AIM 1! Now tell me how to make that thing work...

Comments

• What's wrong with it?

-Q
  • It cannot connect to AIM server.
  • are u firewalled? im not sure about the earlier versions but the later ones need a port or two to be opened
  • I'd ask Fish, he's our AOL Infodispenser.

-Q
  • It says:
    "An error occured while connecting to server. You may not have an internet connection"
  • Well afterall its AIM 1.0! I remember I tryed that and it didn't work. It's just too old to connect, hate to say. I'm not even sure if 2.x works anymore.
  • they probably changed the server adress several times since then
  • cant you change the server address in the settings of AIm 1?
  • Or redirect the server(s) via HOSTS file edit?

-Q
  • someone try it, or research it online maybe.
  • The only thing we need to know is the old AIM server that it tires to connect to, then we can HOSTS redirect it to login.oscar.aol.com (I think).

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    The only thing we need to know is the old AIM server that it tires to connect to, then we can HOSTS redirect it to login.oscar.aol.com (I think).

-Q

Oh yeah, we must get some info what was the old AIM server. Is it possible to monitor to what server AIM1 tries to connect??
  • aight well we were wrong, the AIM server has stayed the same address over the years. Maybe you do have firewall problems or something.

I just was on AIM 1.0 16bit on Windows XP....it asks you to upgrade when it connects but just click continue and it works. It doesn't load your buddy list. I actually like it, its interesting, no ads or nothing - slimed down.
    aim1_xp.JPG
    aim2_xp.JPG
  • Yay!! It really works! I think if so, it should work for me, too cuz 2000 is just like XP plus more stability and minus tons of bugs and useless crap!
  • I LOVE the old AIM buttons for block and such. Maybe I should use that in WINE...

-Q
  • Good idea, if only it will run there...
  • Well the setup ran, but failed on install.

-Q
  • AIM 1 probly connected to the old TOC server where they should connect to the new oscar server.