Batch file

edited September 2004 in Software
um i know this shoudl go under a support forum but Q can move it he wants.... it late i'm tired and confused so here the problem

okay since i'm on dial up i can';t just stick all the messgers and sigx crap in my startup folder so i want to make a batch file or somthing to load sigx, MSN, and yahoo .... so i made this batch file
batch file wrote:
c:\progra~1\sigx\sigx.exe
c:\progra~1\yahoo!\messen~1\ypager.exe
c:\progra~1\msnmes~1\msnmsgr.exe

but when it runs it loads sigx.... then stops untill i exit sigx then continues.... so what can i do to fix it? and is there a better way to do this?

Comments

• Try using CALL EG:

CALL C:\baahcnah\program.exe

etc.

If that doesn't work, make a BAT for each program and have the master BAT call each subBAT.

*Moved to DOS support*

-Q
  • Yes, that is easy. Do what Q said, I am using DOS since 1995, and I exactly know it works.
  • i was kinda hoping there was an easier way to do it with windows.... they should have a batch program designed specificaly for windows... that is if theres not already.... anyways gonna try it now hope it works......

okay first suggestion didn't work.... now trying second suggestion....

second suggestion didn't work either.... it seems that once the program runs it woln't execute anything after the program until the program exits, is there a command to tell it to continue executing the batch file?
  • "Batch program for Windows" = Windows scripting.

-Q
  • hmmm...... so how would i go about doing that since i haven't a clue
  • Get a book or try Google and this.

-Q
  • Don't worry, just give your BAT file an extension "CMD".
    And insert "call" at the beginning of each line.
  • BlueSun Wrote:okay since i'm on dial up i can';t just stick all the messgers and sigx crap in my startup folder

uh....why not just add them to the startup folder in the start menu??? What does your dial-up have to do with adding shortcuts in the menu? Set the programs to not automatically connect on startup so you can turn them on, but they won't try to find the web that you aren't connected to yet.
  • WoW! A good and a fresh idea...! It's easy... why to write unneded .BAT files...
  • BlueSun Wrote:okay since i'm on dial up i can';t just stick all the messgers and sigx crap in my startup folder

uh....why not just add them to the startup folder in the start menu??? What does your dial-up have to do with adding shortcuts in the menu? Set the programs to not automatically connect on startup so you can turn them on, but they won't try to find the web that you aren't connected to yet.

I know that.... and in the same thought process all the programs and be confiured to start when windows starts anyway.... but the problem is that i'd still have to go and connect to them each time. however they could probably be configured to connect when my dial up connects.... i will look into that but it doesn't help with sigx

EDIT: never mind thats probably a better idea then i only have 2 things to click... my connection and sigx... well firefox as well..... okay i think i'll do that instead of the batch file
  • I find batch files for only being used injstead of typing eg. subst A: B: every time i turn on my pc.

Or for defragmenting a volume every 28 days
  • Ahhh batch files. I set one up the other day for motherboard monitor 5. If my CPU gets to 65*C, MBM runs shutdown.bat, which restarts my computer... that way programs that were using alot of CPU close.