Redhat 9 with Kernel 2.6

edited September 2004 in Software
i've found out that my chipset (VIA KT600) isn't supported in Redhat 9 (simply because it's not supported by the 2.4 kernel) this creates a problem since i can't just install the OS and upgrade the kernel... i have to install with the 2.6 kernel... if anyone knows a way to install Redhat 9 using the 2.6 kernel i would really apreciate it... i don't want to use a different version of linux.. i was stuck in mandrake for awhile... but i got tired of it... thanx

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yeah, i know the 2.6 kernel wasn't around yet, and therefore it's not included (or even mentioned) in Redhat 9... as it stands right now fedora core 2 won't install on my system either... at the last test version i tried, it still used 2.4.x during boot, which means i'm screwed, as long as they make 2.6 the kernel during the installation i guess i'll switch over to Fedora Core ::mutters obscenities about Fedora Core::
  • if you reread my post, i was refereing to the test version when i said i tried it :p
  • haha, yeah, test 1 as far as i can tell (from pages i've read, and my limited experience, since it wouldn't install) was pretty buggy, i'll play around with test 2 a little more, and see if i can get it to jog (as apposed to run)...
  • i did it once
    if you want to change kernel to 2.6.* in RedHat9 you have to upgrade modutils first
    the one wich is in redhat9 is not supported by any 2.6.* kernel
  • Redhat 9 is now Fedora core

For a nice 3 CD set you can get the newest distro from Redhat including all the bloat you can use with a nice 2.5GB installation :-)
  • Damn, how is it possible?
  • hey slash, how much would it be if it as shipped from:

UK
    China
    other places in that area