Redhat vs. Fedora Core

edited September 2004 in Software
hey y'all, just wanted your opinion on Redhat and Fedora Core... i'm a redhat fan, and have been since 6.2... needless to say I didn't like it much when redhat "sold out" to fedora, and said they were only going to continue to produce the Advanced Server, etc... what's your opinion on it, i've not gotten a chance to play around with Fedora core (well... i played with all the betas) because the full version won't install on my machine, so what do y'all think of it?

Comments

• I've used RH9, it was a good system. I'll try FC1, but I"ll have to DL the ISOs and make a new VM. :D

-Q
  • I'm currently running Fedora on one of my many systems. Its a great Linux distro. It runs a bit slower then RH9 but if you have a powerful PC and if your a RH fan I would advise you get Fedora.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • face it man, redhat sold out, they had a great product, a powerful linux distro that was easy enough for an ordinary pc user... and they gave developemental control to another company... that to me is selling out...
  • Its not really selling out, Its opensource theres already to many hands in the cookie jar in the Linux Distro world. All what RH is doing is they're sharing code with a diffrent company.

I remember hearing about when Linux came out, there was no distros. You compiled the Linux Kernel with a few tools from GNU and walla. Overtime X-Windows came out and tons of software and before you knew it you had company making premade distros of Linux and tossing in tons of programs with it so you wouldn't have to sit there jumping to web site to website to get a complete Linux OS.
  • I have read the fedora core wepage, and i'm very familiar with it, i like redhat, i liked what they were doing, i supported them by buying the software, and their merchandise, if you don't like my termonology "sold out" then ignore it, but in my opinion, redhat sold out... sharing code is one thing... if they'd have continued to produce their distro (and yes i know they are still doing the enterprise linux stuff) and shared the code with fedora, so fedora could do the cutting/bleeding edge stuff, and left their distro being the stable, tested version, i'd have no problems with it, but i don't like change, therefore i'd've prefered if redhat would've stayed redhat... sorry if it pissed you off man... but in my opionion... they sold out
  • 'sall good man, no worries :D
  • Is Fedora simpler than RH9?

Is RH9 one of the more or less complicated distros?
  • redhat is gay, to much like microsuck winblows
  • Ridgeback wrote:
    microsuck winblows

Your afraid of good software
  • Ridgeback wrote:
    microsuck winblows

Your afraid of good software

Yea, he claims Microsoft is gay, but in reality he is. Hes also not that great at deciding when and when not to speak... Thats why noone likes him on OldOS or Tomchus forum, OR HERE.
  • ah yes.....Im familiar of his work...the 3Ghz Xeon, leeching off my server....
  • Fedora Core two is the best distro of Linux I've tryed yet.
  • Good lord, someone needs to slap you.

Use Slackware, SuSE. Redhat/Fedora Core is shit
  • Good lord, someone needs to slap you.

Use Slackware, SuSE. Redhat/Fedora Core is shit

Slackware was interesting, and I couldn't install SuSE.
  • Find a different distro like Gentoo
  • Many people have different tastes, som people look for challenges, some just want n easy OS to configure/use, some look for compatibility, and others may just want one distro of linux which is an easy server.
  • Yeah but some distros arent so great as others.
  • Yeah but some distros arent so great as others.

Great is only a matter of opinion.