USB hard drive enclosure

edited September 2004 in Hardware
Well I have been using it ever few days since I got it, but after bringing it to school yesterday and bringing it home my computers cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Could I fix it or did I just loose an enclosure to my fucked up school computers? (one that I plugged it into repeatedly said I was removing the device without unplugging it (2000) when in fact all the cables were secure. I dunno, maybe I need a new USB cable as the one in it may have been damaged.

Comments

• I don't know but I've lost the use of several usb devices.
    I've got three now non working external CD burners that
    died with practically no use. I think I'll look on Netseller and
    see how much I can get a dozen of those usb cords and try
    them before I throw them out. I know I lost one because of
    the usb cord. A very ignorant and stupid gentleman brought
    me his computer to work on and I needed to burn a disk image
    before I did something and it died and all the CDs were
    corrupt. I found out someone had told him that somebody
    could get into his computer with those and to put some
    vaseline in them to prevent it and he did. He said I don't
    have anything that plugs in there. I would advise you not
    to take it to school or anywhre else if you get it going again.
    Good Luck.
    Thump
  • yeah, I am thinking that I should never bring any electronic device into school unless I want it to die....
  • yeah, I am thinking that I should never bring any electronic device into school unless I want it to die....

simple really if its costs more than a can of drink dont bother.... lol
  • yeah... now the enclosure is officially dead. I thought it might have been the fact that the IDE cable was crammed in there. I tried to pull it out.... but the end was soldered into the board. It looked like a regular IDE cable end until I started breaking the plastic off to see that the pins soldered into the board went right to the ribbon cable. There's not hope for it now as it's in pieces. I haven't tested the hard drive yet, but I hope it's still good.
  • How much did the enclosere set you back?
  • this one set me back 30 bucks. The first one I bought that came with the hard drive was 70 bucks, for something that only worked in a mac.... the hard drive itself lets say cost.... 30 bucks. So out of $100 spent 70 has been blown.
  • yeah, now what do I do... buy another enclosure... completely give up on portable storage? (I had a flash drive, that died too)
  • does the school have CDRW drives? That'll be good. Or you could come in school with several floppy disks
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • At my school, i can make a VPN connection to my personal hard drive share @school. If i need to transport files i just use my MP3 player. no problems so far.
  • my school computers suck... they all bitched saying I didn't have the rights to install new hardware. Although if I kept plugging it into different USB ports eventually one would work.

Also, my mini seems to be dying altogether.
  • I need to get a small portable HDD- I don't want one of those memory sticks because I fell they're a fad, they suck ass, and they're not practical.
  • I fell they're a fad, they suck ass, and they're not practical.

Yea, well that's what Fish says about VoIP, :P!

-Q
  • I need to get a small portable HDD- I don't want one of those memory sticks because I fell they're a fad, they suck ass, and they're not practical.

u talking about usb keys?

if you are they are the best thing on earth for data storage that needs to be accessed by may computers.
  • I have problems with people's uber-obsession with them at my school. If you only need < or = 1GB, you can usually use GMail. I know schools may have issues with email sometimes, etc., but a webmail page is even more accessible. I see a bit of a point in them, though, as you only work of one copy of the file, etc. I see a great value in REAL mini drives.
  • I have problems with people's uber-obsession with them at my school. If you only need < or = 1GB, you can usually use GMail. I know schools may have issues with email sometimes, etc., but a webmail page is even more accessible. I see a bit of a point in them, though, as you only work of one copy of the file, etc. I see a great value in REAL mini drives.

not all the computers i work on have inet access.
    Real mini drives are expencive and a pain in the ass to carry around. They are also slower. The usb key is small, i plug it in, it works, i get to my files, i make changes, save, and take it out, and do it all over again on another system.

Plus im the only one who has one.
  • I cant get to gmail from school, unless i use a proxy.
  • Well I can understand disliking an obsession over them, sortof like TIs @ BCC, but they're usefull, unless someone @ OIT doesn't let you use them. @ BCC I think we have to use Zip 100s.

-Q
  • I am so not going to buy a zip disk at whatever insane price they are. I see the point of them.... especially for PC's without Inet or proxy acess. Then I understand.

I still want to find a REAL mini drive.
  • I didn't say YOU had to, but @ BCC I think that's what you have to use, or floppies.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    ZIP disks are terrible. I've heard of too many stories of them dying, or the drives dying, or whatnot. BCIT is actually phasing out ZIP drives and urging everyone to use USB keys or CD-RWs precisely for that purpose.

Some schools/companies configure their systems not to let you use any portable storage, in order to keep you from stealing anything. This is a growing concern in a lot of companies lately.

i got a dead zip drive on my desk now. it came with a pc bought in 1997, it died 3 years later.
  • Well, BCC says ZIP, floppy, CD (Readonly) or bust!

-Q

PS. Or maybe download off your svr, but I've never tried that yet.
  • I had a 256MB PNY attache pen drive, for some reason I couldn't write over 128MB of data to it.... it had a lock switch and it worked reversed.... eventually it just died, in like 6 months. I tried to get it replaced as there was a 1 year warrenty... but I got a machine and the guy who called back didn't speak english so the # he told me to call wasn't understandable.

Seems that all my computers are falling apart and at the same time now... Operation save the mini seems to be working. I took the 8 gig out and plugged it into my pentium, then I tried copying it to the 25 gig the pentium has, but the 25 gig hard drive reset the computer. I next copied the mini's drive over the network and stored it on the dell through it's shared folder. I then had to use the pentium to install NT with the atapi update. (nothing else has a floppy drive) After getting NT installed I poped the 25 gig into the mini and installed 2k (the mini dualbooted, might as well do it again). I have most things set up for 2k and just about nothing set up for NT.

I need to get a cheap network card so I can do a crossover between computers, so NT on the mini can get to the web and network through the wireless card of the pentium and vice versa (hehe, get an ISA card and I'll get my 386 with dos and 3.11 connected to my cable.

Overall I think OSTM is progressing nicely, I started the 2k service pack 4 update when I left for school, hope the hard drive doesn't give out during the update (it did when when I installed 2k on the pentium).

Seems odd to be replacing a seemingly damaged drive with another one... the mini's 8 gig didn't have any problems when it was the secondary primary in the pentium, but before the thing kept clicking and freezing up windows.