Strange Freezes

edited October 2004 in Software
For the past 2 weeks, (and more) my computer has been going very slowly, and wont let me use the taskbar or the start menu right after I connect to the internet (I use dialup) So, when i press: ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+shift+esc several times, the cursor thens turns into a hourglass, then it turns into a pointer. After about 3-5 mins, the Task Manager Shows up, and I can use the start menu and taskbar.

I have already restarted my computer, tried FFX as the only app and have tried an Adaware scan. Now my question is, what in heck could be causing this? :?

Comments

• Use multiple programs for adaware/spyware scans...i use Spysweeper, Search & Destroy and Adaware 6.0..

do a virus scan and then defrag...
  • ok, I also think I should get NOD32, NAV2k2 is getting rather stupid when scanning.
  • NAV = huge pile of bloat. Sadly, I can't recommend a better antivirus because I don't use one LOL
    Give HouseCall a try. Don't know how updated their defs are, but it'll give you a pretty good idea of any shitacularity that might be on your system.

And check msconfig.
  • Reformat :D
  • but what is strange, when I reformatted a while back (lessw than 45 days) it was like that way.
  • Hmm....
    Maybe it's some app that causes this... check proc usage in the task manager... 3-5 min delays... could either be some spyware in IE [so in the whole system] or some app that churns away at something....

Try fdisking the OS partition off first, then shoving it back, then reinstalling LOL
  • Hmmm, lemme recheck for spyware using Spyware S&D, it never lets me down :D
    I am staying away from reformatting as much as possible.