Can I Install SP2 On This Product ID?

edited October 2004 in Software
I have heard a lot of crap about sp2 messing up your system with certain product id's.

Will it work with my one ok, which is: 55274-640-6094637-23479

cheers

Comments

• It has "640" in the middle of it so it should work...

-Q
  • Thanks for that. Nice setup you have here btw. :cool:
  • Just found out from a mate that sp2 wrecked his system and he had to format. do you think its worth getting?
  • Anonymous wrote:
    Just found out from a mate that sp2 wrecked his system and he had to format. do you think its worth getting?

It fucked my dads pc (winxp pro), but went in fine on my pc (MCE), so unless u have MCE or Tablet pc editiion just update with the hotfixes and dont bother getting sp2.

MCE and TAblet PC upgrades their media center app and tablet apps
    Winxp home, pro not worth it
  • i didnt like it cos of the 10 connections problem......
  • Dude1 wrote:
    I have heard a lot of crap about sp2 messing up your system with certain product id's.

cheers
    How can that be? Do u mean that XP SP2 won't be installed on a pirated Windows XP??
  • Slash wrote:
    Dude1 wrote:

cheers
    How can that be? Do u mean that XP SP2 won't be installed on a pirated Windows XP??

If the PID is something other than xxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx it wont let you logon once you upgrade. 640 is the legal ones.
  • Ah... it can be easily changed,... so NO Problem!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Anyhow you call it... it slows down your internet.
  • I dont notice any difference in my browsing experience between SP2 and no SP.
  • I guess they've fixed some bugs in SP2 and added some new bugs to it.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    i didnt like it cos of the 10 connections problem......

*sigh*

I've already explained that. It's not 10 connections, it's 10 simulataneous, incompleted outbound connections. Port scanning, for instance.

yea w/e

all i know is when i had SP2 shareaza never connected

now it does :P
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Shareaza is one of the programs that obviously encounters this limit, probably because it attempts a bunch of connections, and hopes it finds a good one.

exacly, thats why i got rid of it
  • SP2 and shareaza worked A-OK for me, i just dont use anny of the network, only BitTorrent.
  • Bittorrent is the only "file sharing" network I've found that works satisfactorily in SP2. Or maybe its just the damned port blocking on my router. Or a mix of both lol
  • BOD wrote:
    i didnt like it cos of the 10 connections problem......

There are ways to change the connection limit. There's a thread somewhere around here telling you where the program is.
    rubenerd wrote:
    Bittorrent is the only "file sharing" network I've found that works satisfactorily in SP2. Or maybe its just the damned port blocking on my router. Or a mix of both lol

It is probably your router. When I first got mine pretty much no file sharing programs worked. But I found several guides to configure each program to work properly. Besides, you could always install a software firewall and DMZ, bypassing the router altogether.