another hard drive has died

edited November 2004 in Hardware
Hey... my Quantum Fireball 40 gig that was in my portable when it was still working, and just in my pentium has now died... it came too close to the other hard drive and aparently one of it's resistors (from a quick glance it seems like a resistor) shorted and blew out (literally... sparks, smoke, no noise though).

I have tried to see if I could get it to survive a boot, but it clicks and the computer cannot detect any hard drives with it installed. If it actually was a resistor, and I found out it's rating, I suppose I could try to find a very very low power soldering iron and replace it.

I was also wondering though, if I got another quantum fireball of the same make and model, could I switch the disc platters? Would it just end up killing another drive or if done carefully enough, the "new" drive would function properly and I would be able to access the files that are on it (this drive was my main source of storage.... pretty much EVERYTHING I had was on it)

Also, would it be possible to just get another 40 gig drive, or would I need the exact same make and model for a switch to work?

Comments

• The swapping operation would be EXTREMEMELY risky, I'd attempt the resistor (If that was it) change 1st.

-Q
  • what about sending the drive to them? Aparently Quantum will take problematic storage mediums (a large list, even USB drives ~grabs his dead flash drive~) and if they can retrieve the data then they will send it to you in whatever way you want (CD, DVD, send the broken drive with another drive, they'll put it on the good one, buy a drive from them for it to be put on, tape drive, or other).

I guess if I tried this, I might go with dvd, not sure about buying a new drive, how would the price be coming directly from them? And.... this drive is used for storage so it does contain...stuff... would it be wise to let them even go near the drive?
  • Hmm, I didn't know that Quantum would do that...

If they'll do that then I'd leave it to them, as to privacy, I'd review their privacy polices, maybe ask them, and think yourself how compromising the data on there is.

-Q
  • yeah, I'm looking for a privacy policy.... as for the data... I need to think about what is/was on there, it may be all re downloadable, able to let go, or sitting on another computer somewhere.

Edit: I can ask them about the whole privacy part... but I want to make sure I word it wisely....

here's what I've got

Hello, I was wondering what your privacy policy is on recovering data. Is recovered data protected from any and all

how about someone picks up from there.... I can't find a way to end that sentence, but I'm sure the rest of you know where I'm trying to go with it.
  • Just say something like "I was wondering what your privacy policy on this is. I mean, I've got some confidential information on there that I REALLY don't want other eyes to see.". That should do it, but you will probably only need to say the 1st sentence and they'll pick up on it and answer your question.

-Q
  • Don't worry. Drives die very often. That's not surprising for me... I have 5-6 dead hdd's already.
  • try sending your Hd to a professional hard drive backup company, they may be able to salvage the data off the hard drive
  • i think nemo is the best professional in hard drives. and he cannot do anything with them.
  • try sending your Hd to a professional hard drive backup company, they may be able to salvage the data off the hard drive
    Yeah... Quamtum... the people who made the drive, are professional drive recovery people...
    Slash wrote:
    i think nemo is the best professional in hard drives. and he cannot do anything with them.
    I don't think I can ship this thing to Russia and have it arrive there without any new damages.
  • Sure if the drive is totally dead they won't fix it too...
  • I only had problems with Quantum drives... All the older quantums I have here are dead or almost dead. The drives that died:

1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 120mb
    1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 180mb
    2x Quantum ProDrive LPS 400mb
    1x Quantum Fireball 3.2gb
    1x Quantum Fireball 2.1gb
    4x Quantum Fireball 1.2gb

Almost dead:
    1x Quantum Fireball 2.1gb SCSI-2
    1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 210mb
    2x Quantum BigFoot 2160CY 2.1gb (5.25")

Only Seagate drives are still working... I got lots of 45mb-1.2gb hdds which are still in full working order. I once had a 1.2gb drive of which I thought was dead,so i threw it in the garbage bin from a 2m. distance. It first hit the wall and fell into the bin. I took it out and reconnected it to another motherboard and turned it on.. It still works perfectly!
  • Slash wrote:
    Sure if the drive is totally dead they won't fix it too...
    They aren't repairing it, they are simply taking the data from it if it can be accessed.
  • I only had problems with Quantum drives... All the older quantums I have here are dead or almost dead. The drives that died:

1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 120mb
    1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 180mb
    2x Quantum ProDrive LPS 400mb
    1x Quantum Fireball 3.2gb
    1x Quantum Fireball 2.1gb
    4x Quantum Fireball 1.2gb

Almost dead:
    1x Quantum Fireball 2.1gb SCSI-2
    1x Quantum ProDrive ELS 210mb
    2x Quantum BigFoot 2160CY 2.1gb (5.25")

Only Seagate drives are still working... I got lots of 45mb-1.2gb hdds which are still in full working order. I once had a 1.2gb drive of which I thought was dead,so i threw it in the garbage bin from a 2m. distance. It first hit the wall and fell into the bin. I took it out and reconnected it to another motherboard and turned it on.. It still works perfectly!

how much $$$ did you spend in all those HDs that died, its hard to beleive that most of them are dead, yove had more dead hardrives than ive had all together my whole life.
  • yeah, I don't even have that many drives, this is the first one I've had actually die, I've got another weakened one... also a quantum fireball.... I need a job... to get lots of money.... to buy lots of computer parts. Or do any of you have a decent sized hard drive or two laying around that you'd ship to me for not so much....?
  • I've got many HDs, but really no "decent sized" ones. My personal favorite drives are Western Digital and Maxtor, especially Maxtor, all the new drives from them I have have never given trouble.

-Q

PS. Are you going to have them xfer your data to a new one?
  • I asked them about their privacy policy, they haven't responded yet.
  • Alright.

-Q

PS. Another thing, Quantums (I don't know about now) but they used to be LOUD! I had one that took like 30Seconds to spin up and down, and you could hear it @ the other end of the house!
  • Slash wrote:
    Sure if the drive is totally dead they won't fix it too...
    They aren't repairing it, they are simply taking the data from it if it can be accessed.
    Aaah... Well, OK then... it's more possible...
  • Wingzeroismine, I'm very sorry about your troubles but I'm
    sure that would be very expensive and not for free. You'll
    just have to replace whatever you lost. The resistor blew
    because you had a direct short. Again I'm real sorry.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    DO NOT take the platters out. You will fuck up, guaranteed. Not only do you need a clean room for that kind of operation, but you need extensive training and specialized tools.

as soon as dust touches it, youre fukced
  • Thump wrote:
    Wingzeroismine, I'm very sorry about your troubles but I'm
    sure that would be very expensive and not for free. You'll
    just have to replace whatever you lost. The resistor blew
    because you had a direct short. Again I'm real sorry.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
    Yeah, direct short. Most of the 30 gigs was from large downloads, each taking multiple gigs. I'm trying to remember what I really had on it. Asside from re-downloadable files, there were things that I made... Animation stuff I think, oh well I still have all of the animation videos somewhere else *checks* OH NO I DON'T!. Ah well. If the torrents for the other stuff is still up by the time I get a new drive then I'll be all set. I guess not remembering everything I had will be helpful as I'll only be downloading what I can remember/need. Alot of the smaller things are on floppy/cd also, so I could just get it from those. My FF7 discs were on it... I just burnt the cds for somene, so I can get images from that. I haven't burnt FF8 at all... so I have to get some of those again... looks like my mini will be doing a lot of downloading, it's the only one with space left, and it still won't even hold half of what I had.
    Tomchu wrote:
    Quantum will not recover data for you for free from a dead drive. Professional data recovery from damaged hard drives costs in the thousands of dollars.
    I had no idea how much it would be, when I fill out the form, they give a quote on how much. I'll get a quote to see what it's like, but if it ends up being far more then the cost of a new much larger hard drive, then screw it, I'll just have 8 torrents at once lol.
  • blahblah

how much $$$ did you spend in all those HDs that died, its hard to beleive that most of them are dead, yove had more dead hardrives than ive had all together my whole life.

none. Most of those drives came out of old Pentium 1 systems I get for free.

I spend 15 euro on my HP server, with 2x2.1gb drives, (quantum and seagate). The quantum is almost dead.
  • edited November 2004
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hey, they replied, it even seem that a human did it!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Below please find an excerpt from our terms and conditions that you sign off on when you submit a case to us.

I trust this is satisfactory? If you have your own confidentiality agreement, we'll be please to sign off.

Regards

Sam

4. Confidentiality
    Storage Data Services agrees not to disclose any and all information or data files supplied with, stored on, or recovered from client equipment except to employees or agents of Storage Data Services, subject to confidentiality agreements or as required by law.

Well, I don't exactly know what is required by law... but it seemed decent enough... what do you guys think? Also, I'll go ahead and see about getting a quote. If they ask for credit card info then I'm stopping (as I don't have one). If it is possible to pay with a money order or something, then we'll see what happens.
  • "Required by law" is if a court subpoeneas the information or something like that.

I'd ask who exactly their "agents" are, how many subsidiaries, whether or not they agree to the same confidentiality, etc.

-Q