my dell latitude c600 laptop doesnt like the modem/lan combo

edited November 2004 in Hardware
hey guys i was at the dell support site and dled the drivers for the laptops sound, display, and modem and lan. The lan and the modem install as separate hardware. the modem is called 3com 56k v.90 mini pci modem. and it installs easy but then when i try dialup it says " modem resources conflcit with another hardware. Please change your configuration". I have it set on communications port COM 1, and i tried alll the other COMs too but no use. There is no other modem drivers installed i checked so i have no idea what the hell is going on. Can you guys help.. ~ Justin

Comments

• In the Device Manager, open the properties for the modem and go to the Resources tab, it should list conflicts there.

-Q
  • Try the Dell support forums at http://support.dell.com if all else fails, you'll probably find an answer or at least be comforted by others with the same problem.
  • i checked out the site and i found one dude with the same problem as me. same laptop everything. but his thread was never answered :(
  • Did he leave an email addy or anything?

Maybe make a new thread?
  • hot damn !!!! . I fianlly figured it out on my own, YAY !!!!!! but thanks for your opinions guys
  • What was it?

-Q
  • it was simple , well after finding out how it could be done , the proces was relatively wasy. See the modem and lan combo are a mini pci card. Which for reasons i dont know was disabled in the bios settings. I searched through it for an option to enable it and when that was done, and loaded windows 98 micro lol, it picked up the lan first and installed in from the drivers i already had for it on the computer and then restarted and installed the modem drivers, whcih were also on there as well, im so happy. this was really bugging me. now all i need is a dsl router lol
  • "DSL router" ? You mean just an Ethernet router, or something else?

-Q
  • lol yea ethernet
  • I recommend CompUSA generic and Linksys, I've used both and am happy with each (Frankly the CompUSA ones better, but you may perfer a more name-brand one).

-Q
  • ill look at staples buisness depot and see if they have that, ill network my laptop to the desktop