Project Tricolor Hinge

QQ
edited November 2004 in Hardware
OK, I've got an IBM ThinkPad 380ED. To get it working I'm going to:
    √ Get the power cord
  • Get a Hard disk
  • Get a netwk card dongle (Or a new card)
  • Get a battery

Now I've got the power cord and I've got to test it out. It works and boots to a floppy fine, but who knows how to access the BIOS on the ThinkPad? Mental? Anyone?

The other 3 steps are optional, but would increase my enjoyable use of it. Especially the HD.

Any ideas?

I'll keep you posted.

-Q

Comments

• i could give u a 2.5gb 2.5inch hdd, but i dotn wanna shipit.
  • let me get the parent's old 760ed

I'll do that tomorrow.
  • hold F1 while turning it on. What network card does it have? Ive got a Xircom dongle laying around here somewhere, ive also got a 810mb IBM Hard disk.

EDIT: hey... this is my 600th post... cool (woot)
  • Heh... I forgot to look, sorry Q.
  • It's got a 3Com "Megahertz" 10/100 PCMCIA card sans dongle.

Excellent! I got in and discovered the screwy cursors!

-Q
  • Heh, I remeber those.
  • Now for tonight, to play a DOS-Game on it, via floppy! I think I'll pick Kroz or Secret Asian Man...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It's got a 3Com "Megahertz" 10/100 PCMCIA card sans dongle.

Excellent! I got in and discovered the screwy cursors!

-Q

hell yeah, they change with different parts of the BIOS. like the bird which can fly backwards best!
  • my laptop dont have any "screw cursors".....
  • BOD wrote:
    my laptop dont have any "screw cursors".....

hmm, maybe they changed it.. I repaired an IBM Thinkpad 300 (PII 350mhz, 32mb ram, 5gb hdd) which still had them.. Check out your BIOS, if you have cursors looking like a bird which is animated when you move the trackpoint, you have the "screw cursors"
  • The bird, the pennant, the marker, and others I haven't tried yet. I wonder why IBM put them in?

Tonight I'll try DN1 or 2...

-Q

PS. It flies backwards?
  • Alright, I tried, instead of any of those I said...

SKYROADS - The best things to come out of Estonia on a floppy disk (With the possible exception of leaked secret USSR crap)!

-Q

PS. PTH is a 380 and it has them.
  • when i move the trackpoint nothing happens :P
  • You probably have a newer, unscrewy and boring BIOS. I'm just getting to love my PTH (Note: when it's done, it'll be given a final name).

-Q
  • Q wrote:

PS. It flies backwards?

yeah, move the trackpoint to the right and it flies backwards :D
  • O... I get it.

Any ideas on what I can do with it with just floppy and CD drives? Sofar I've played Skyroads and Scorched Earth, and run Memtest86 with negative results.

-Q
  • LiveCDs......
  • And 32MiB of RAM?

-Q
  • theres loadsa them here there might be one.....
  • Alright, let me change my statement. I don't really want to go using up CDRs (And I'm not sure RWs will work) for this. If something really amazzing shows up then OK, but untill then I'd prefer floppies.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    OK, I've got an IBM ThinkPad 380ED. To get it working I'm going to:
      √ Get the power cord
    • Get a Hard disk
    • Get a netwk card dongle (Or a new card)
    • Get a battery

Now I've got the power cord and I've got to test it out. It works and boots to a floppy fine, but who knows how to access the BIOS on the ThinkPad? Mental? Anyone?

The other 3 steps are optional, but would increase my enjoyable use of it. Especially the HD.

Any ideas?

I'll keep you posted.

-Q

The battery isnt required... and a hard drive... ebay has TONS of old laptop hard drives, Im assuming its a standard laptop-IDE drive.
  • Q wrote:
    Alright, let me change my statement. I don't really want to go using up CDRs (And I'm not sure RWs will work) for this. If something really amazzing shows up then OK, but untill then I'd prefer floppies.

-Q

muLinux is your answer.
  • I know the battery isn't, but when it's not there there's this annoying hole on the bottom and I'd like to fill it correctly. Same with the dongle, I'd like a netwk on it. The HD I'll hope to get in about a week.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • how much?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.