XP > System 10 > HP Deskjet

QQ
edited November 2004 in Software
OK, I'm trying to get my XP machine (BlacII.1) to print to the HP Deskjet on my System 10 Imac. I've gotten the Printer shared correcly according to Help, and the firewall is allowing the correct ports though.

XP can "see" the Mac: when I attempt to add a network printer, it shows "Microsoft Windows Network", "WORKGROUP" and "DAD" (The machines network name), and if I attempt to go by UNC path (\\Dad\deskjet 5600 (or \\192.168.0.3 as Help suggested)) I get a login screen. However somewhere after establishing communication it just doesn't work: I can't "expand" "DAD" in the printer selector.

I can connect to the machine, I've gotten the driver installed on BlacII.1 (The XP machine) and everything is fine, EXCEPT: I can't get anything to print. I say "Print Test Page" and it freezes for a few minutes, then gives me the standard "It's being printed" message, but nothing ever happens on the printer itself.

Any ideas?

-Q

Comments

• OK, I've narrowed it down a bit. The HP DOES work, I can easily print to it from the local machine (The Mac). I've logged in as the user I attempt to print under remotely (It should have all the privledges) and check it out. Everything is set up seemingly correctly, but when I attempt to print to it over the netwk, nothing shows up in the Print Manager (The app that lists the jobs waiting to be printed).

So... somehow the Mac isn't getting or is dropping the print requests...

Any ideas?

-Q
  • If the printer has an ethernet port, just plug it directly into the LAN. Its ALOT easier that way...

Otherwise, Im kind of... lost.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No, it's just USB...

OK, now this is weird. I can connect to a shared directory on there, and map it. I can even write to it...

OK, now I've done some user removing on there and it's time to reboot here to flush whatever debris remains...

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think its on \\dad which is one of the A64s..
  • couldnt u just buy a usb print server?
  • I was just thinking that and already looking for one!
  • i jsut hook mine up to my server, all i need to do now is get my head around samba.....
  • I want to keep the printer on the Mac because thats where it gets most of it's use, I only need to print to it occasionally and then netwk printing would suffice.

And it's on \\192.168.0.3\ AKA \\Dad which is the Imac.

-Q
  • Yea.. he kinda posted that "Dad" was the iMac.

This may help... but it is for the other direction.
  • What may help?

-Q
  • Excellent! I got it to work! It's slow as [CS], but it works! I just had to tell Windows that it was an Apple printer (That is, use an Apple printer driver) and it took it!

-Q

PS. Actually PostScript printer, but the example was an Apple LaserWriter so I went ahead with that.