Fedora Core 3

edited November 2004 in Software
Upgraded about a week ago... worst decisison i've ever made in regards to the OS i chose to run on my primary machine... this OS SUCKS... it's got enough bugs to make Micro$oft laugh... i'll recommend to everyone not to use it... and oh yeah... if you burn DVDs... you have to upgrade your version of K3b and then log in as root to burn them... (not FC's problem... it's a kernel issue... but still... didn't have to do that in FC2)... or you can install a kernel that's <= 2.7.x

Comments

• Haven't used it...
    But if you say it sucks, I should prove that by myself...
    So I have to try.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OMG!! It's N21! You haven't been here in AGES!

-Q

PS. Sucks about FC3, but then again, I'm a SuSE person. Thanx for the warning regardless.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Yay for Linux.

All OS' have bugs, and every company makes a mistake every once in a while

There are many companies that make a varient, and some people just doing making their own distro for their self, so just because a few companies make a mistake or two...

I would like to see you be the head programmer for the fedora core and see how much mistakes might happen on release
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Not to mention that all modern Linuxes are slow as shit.

I beg to differ.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Tomchu wrote:
    Yay for Linux.

All OS' have bugs, and every company makes a mistake every once in a while

There are many companies that make a varient, and some people just doing making their own distro for their self, so just because a few companies make a mistake or two...

I would like to see you be the head programmer for the fedora core and see how much mistakes might happen on release

... You would never find me spending *any* time producing anything for Linux.

I meant if you WERE on the staff, not saying if you wanted to.
  • Would one of your jobs be to check Linux compatibility?
  • I can't tell if that's sarcasm....
  • Well I never really liked the Fedora buissiness, but then again as I've said I'm not a RH person anyway :wink:

But on a more serious side, anyone who makes alot of different variations of stuff (Hardware, software, anything) will be apt to bomb a few.

-Q

PS. SuSE!
  • Fedora is a bad examply of Linux, a few good examples are Slackware and SuSE, and Mandrake.
  • Slackware, however, is *not* a good example for a new user.
  • I've never used Slackware, but SuSE (Last I knew) was pretty good, SME is a nice server OS (It'll be interesting to see the what Lycoris does with it). RHs "Bluecurve" icons are nice, but I don't remember anything else about it (Features, etc). I think I tried FC1 or 2.

-Q
  • im getting slack now (bit torrent never goes fast for me), SuSE was good, but i didnt have the hdd space to have everythiung installed and yeh id like to see what happens to SME when lycoris get therre hands on it
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Too many cooks spoil the broth. This describes what is happening to Linux exactly.

Too many distros spoil the product. Rather than all of these people working on a core 2-4 distros, there are about 200 of them, with people constantly doing repeat-work that could otherwise be going to improving the core set.

I can fully agree, if there were only a few distros like Mandrake, Slackware, Suse and SME, then that would be a great rep. for Linux
  • it is true that there are too many distros, ive investigated quite a few of them and most are crapm but there are a few good ones........ SME, SuSE, and one i found called feather......
  • I can agree to a degree: I like the diversity, and if one up and dies, or is sucks, I can easily kill it and get a new one that I'll like. But a number of them are very small and , well, suck. But then again, it's like forums, ours is sucessfull, but for this 1 there are probably 10 or 15 that went nowhere; I think Linux flavors are somewhat comparable.

-Q
  • (386)Enh still, you can't blame them for trying.

-Q
  • there the people who've had there forum on the net for about a week and compain that they have no members or posts LOL
  • And the people who create a forum on Proboards and call it a site. I actually saw once where a PB admin needed some space for the images used, and somebody created a forum. lmao Actually, I think in the new version they get image space.
  • Yea... It took a lot of time till WinBoards became well-known all over the world!
  • I think you helped with part of the "over the world" buissiness...

-Q