The search for an old dos menu program , no idea what it is.

edited December 2004 in Software
Hey guys, im working on a sweet dos enviornemtn for the virtual pc, but back in the daysof my old 386 when dos loaded up(this was when i knew nothing abotu computers), after it loaded up it went to the c:/> prompt , BUT it also brought up this menu of the programs for dos, not just doshell, and scandisk, but all my old dos games as well. All the programs on the menu were numberd so you could either type in the program name or the corresponding number. I never took a picture of it but useing the following text this is what it looked like, cept it was in shaeds of blue and red.
[ --------------------------------------------------------]
[-----1.Dosshell------------------4.mouse drivers ---]
[------2.Cd Player------------------5.jukebox--------]
[------3.Windows ------------------------------------- ]
[---------------------------------------------------------]
[--------------------------------------------------------- ]
[________________________________________ ]

C:\>3

*please bear with me, does this look in anyway familer to anyone.
If so what is it caleld and where could i find it... Thanks

[Edit by Q: code tags]

Comments

• I know of a *similar* program called The Hard Disk Manager, which didn't need you to type the program name - press the number or select it in the list. I'll try to dig it up sometime.
  • that sounds like what im looking for, if you can find it i would greatly aprecaite it, right now ill look on the net for it
  • You can create loads of batch files, 1 looking like this:
    MENU.BAT
    Echo "1 windows"
    Echo "2 dosshell"
    Echo "3 cdplayer"
    blah blah bla

and for every program, a batch fie looking like this:
    1.BAT
    c:\windows\win

place all those files in a directory called "menu" or something, and make sure path=c:\menu\ is in autoexec.bat (or config.sys, not sure about this)

also make sure that the last line in autoexec.bat reads c:\menu\menu.bat

this wil give you the menu on startup

PS. im not sure anymore how to create batch files, I haven't worked with them for a VERY long time. There are a lot of batch tutorials on the internet. try google or something.
  • Aha! I know that one! It was made my "5th Generation Systems" or something like that! You hit F2 to configure it and F10 to exit it! And it was a red border with a blue background! C@H used that on ALL the old DOS systems!

-Q
  • CRAPFACE! Is there any way I can restore files from Win95 backup without access to a Win9x machine?
  • Q wrote:
    Aha! I know that one! It was made my "5th Generation Systems" or something like that! You hit F2 to configure it and F10 to exit it! And it was a red border with a blue background! C@H used that on ALL the old DOS systems!

-Q

YES! Q please tell me you know what its called :)
  • "Direct Access 5.1" !

-Q
  • awesome , ill look for it on the net but do you happen to havea copy of it somewhere :):):):)
  • If C@H still has the disk I'll get it from him. If not you can just copy it from 1 HD to another, which I'll endeavor to do.

-Q