Virtual memory in XP

What is a good setting for it to be at? I have 512mb.

Comments

• 768MB is where Windows will set you, and where you should leave it. Its always 1.5x the system RAM.
  • having a big pagefile is pointless, just takes up more HDD space than it needs to, mines @ 384
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's actually better like that. If you have TOO big of a Page File, it actually slows down Windows.

So try what Tom said.
  • Steve wrote:
    It's actually better like that. If you have TOO big of a Page File, it actually slows down Windows.

So try what Tom said.

i alredy said that :P
    BOD wrote:
    having a big pagefile is pointless, just takes up more HDD space than it needs to, mines @ 384
  • Windows doesnt swap unless it needs to :-|
  • Tomchu wrote:
    What is a good setting for it to be at? I have 512mb.

I'm assuming you meant you have 512 MB of RAM. :P Try setting it to 542 MB. That was the exact value I had to use to get 1024 MB of total memory listed in Task Manager. :-D

But really, with something like 512 MB of RAM, you should be good with a page file factor of 1.0x.

Yes, I meant 512mb of ram.
  • it depends on your system really..... 512MB? windows shouldn't realy need to swap it should have enough free ram to run suffiecently.... so i'd let windows manage it...

however if you were running like 98 with 48 Mb of ram i've found a 1GB swap file increases performance quite nicley.....
  • Actually, you'd be surprised. I max out my 768Mb pretty much.
  • Ive never noticed swaping when I'm using it, unless I open and use something MASSIVE.
  • ::: follows tomchu's dirrections ::: AIM is using about 16MB of Virtual Memory..... and lots of others.... food for thought i suppose....
  • wow... I just explored my task manager, I had no idea it had all these other options to display.
  • Set is twice as much as your ram amount.
  • twice? i usually do 1.5x
  • I do 1.5 on systems with 92-256MB RAM, for 512-768MB 1x !GB: probably .80
  • wow, i never knew how much of a tit windows mas with virtual memory...

but why does it need to sue it? it has tons of physical *fast* memory lying about, so why waste hdd space??
  • thats why it takes ages to put programs on the screeen that you havnt used in ages
  • it takes ages for me to get back to the desktop after playing a gam, but as sson as i get my 1GB of RAM
  • ahhh that explains it..... nice to know.....
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Simple: It doesn't keep in RAM what it doesn't need. The graphics for AIM's control panel ... if they've been loaded once, and are kept allocated, but not used for a while, Windows will swap those out to VM when another program requests more memory.
    How stupid, seeing as it does the same thing on 2GB (where VM isn't really needed) as on 128MB (where you better have VM).
  • What do you think about RAM defragmenting/restoring? I know system mechanic has these two features.... recover does recover some, then defragmenting recoveres a little more..... it seems severely temporary though.... what is it doing. And yes, FFX, especially with undo last tab installed.... since that extension keeps EVERYTHING even though you close the page. It would be far more efficient if it could simply store URLs per session, and how far down the page you are.... instead of caching every site for as long as you keep FFX open.