V2 OS

edited December 2004 in Software
I've been playing with V2 OS on a 386 laptop. It seems pretty neat for a unixish DOS system. To bad that the owners don't do any major work on it.

Comments

• Wow. Is it multitasking or not?
  • Where I can look at it?
    ~Slash & Nemo
  • Slash wrote:
    Where I can look at it?
    ~Slash & Nemo

Is this the one you want:

http://www.v2os.cx/
  • Wow, that seems cool? But why no screenshots? Or I haven't found?
  • Slash wrote:
    Wow, that seems cool? But why no screenshots? Or I haven't found?

I don't know why there is no screen shots. I don't download an OS without scr's.
  • Please, post some screenshots here...
  • Can't

Just download it and try it. It runs off of a floppy.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Can't

Just download it and try it. It runs off of a floppy.

Run it in VMware and capture the screen.
  • It cant be that great if its all on a floppy. Cant store much on them these days LOL
  • It cant be that great if its all on a floppy. Cant store much on them these days LOL
    Flopies can store very much if properly copiled... Look at A simple version of MS Dos or Mac system 1
  • Look @ SpinRite, those all fit (Very easily) on floppies.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    If properly compiled? No. Floppies just can't store much of anything. Sure, you might get a slimmed-down Linux, or DOS ... but WTF can you do with those?

Routers, small HTTPD use, system recovery and fun to play with.
  • Well if you use it for router use you want to beable to control it like a real router over the web browser. Or even use it to post some small text files. Only half of the world uses high tech computers you know. A lot of small companys use older system. Also the goverment uses quite a few 386s. You would be surprized on what people do with shit like this. You know the saying "Learn the skills of today for the jobs of tomorrow." It's really "Learn the skills of today for the jobs of yesterday." It wouldn't surprize me of some company is still using a group of systems running DOS.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Well if you use it for router use you want to beable to control it like a real router over the web browser. Or even use it to post some small text files. Only half of the world uses high tech computers you know. A lot of small companys use older system. Also the goverment uses quite a few 386s. You would be surprized on what people do with shit like this. You know the saying "Learn the skills of today for the jobs of tomorrow." It's really "Learn the skills of today for the jobs of yesterday." It wouldn't surprize me of some company is still using a group of systems running DOS.

... my father's work used a text based POS... green color screen... no mouse... booted from 5 floppies...
  • Q wrote:
    Look @ SpinRite, those all fit (Very easily) on floppies.

-Q

SpinRite? What's that?
  • disc recovery tool
  • Shit! I download the o.64c files and WRITEOS.EXE and it sais the floppy is bad, tho it works. I triad this with several floppies. Anyone has a working disk image? Cause I tried .54 and it's so damn cool!