I found somethng about my modem and hope to find
a driver. It's:
VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_4C21134D&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&FE

Google don'e like it like that. does the 8086 denote
a manufacturer? How do you reak these?
Thanks
Thump

Comments

• I dunno about this, but SUBSYS_4C21134D sounds like the DEC/Intel 21143 Ethernet chip. Probably wrong, but it sprung out at me after everything I've had to go through with the HP's netcard. Anyways, where did you find this?
  • *Moved to hardware support*

-Q
  • for $5.00 I will give you your answer
  • Oh just kidding here are the drivers
    use the ones from 9/4/04

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?cat ... DC%20Modem
  • nightice wrote:
    I dunno about this, but SUBSYS_4C21134D sounds like the DEC/Intel 21143 Ethernet chip. Probably wrong, but it sprung out at me after everything I've had to go through with the HP's netcard. Anyways, where did you find this?
    I got it at Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information
    under the Problem Devices. I had to keep moving the
    cursor over it and get a digit or two and then it would
    go away. I finally got it saved and it was long but
    I hunted until I found it. It wasn't working so most of
    the things about it were unknown and that's about all
    there was since it wasn't installed or working and
    had no drivers.

If I could have gotten on a copy of Windows 2000 that was on there originally I could have gotten all the information.
    Chigowolfs, I've been there for hours today. I got it
    down to four types of modems and the first was
    Connextant or something so I tried it first. It had a
    diagnosis tool that was 3 MBS and I'll try it tomorrow.
    If that's not it I've only got three more brands to go.
    Too late tonight.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • Modems are hard to identify some times. Some modems you can just pull out and then google the chipset model and find drivers or use that little trick you told us about. To bad the FCC number identifcation doesn;t work since they on list group 15 instead of 63.

A few years ago when I frist got a 56k modem, it was a 3com Winmodem. Worked fine and everything and I was happy as hell. Then I got that millisa virus and it fucked up my PC an then I reformated. I went to install my modem drivers and poped in the floppy tryed to access it and it was fucked. I tryed calling 3com to get a new driver disk but they wanted to charge 4 dollors a minute on the call so I went ahead and hooked back up my old 28.8 modem and went on 3coms website. I tryed looking up the model number, no luck. I tryed looking at every modem they had by picture and no luck. A friend of mine down the street even had the same modem as me but his drivers were on CD and strangly his modem was a full ISA 16bit card and mine was only half 16bit. Well his driver CD didn't work. Damn modem cost me 80 bucks, couldn't return it also. I had to live with my old 28.8k modem for another year before I broke down and bought another 56k modem. Before I got the new 56k modem I would check 3coms site every now and then to find the drivers. I even tryed looking on some driver websites. Shortly after I got my new 56kmodem I found out that all this time the Windows98 CD had the drivers. It was the generic 3com winmodem drivers and they were windows95 compatable.

Since then i've pretty much boycotted 3Com.
  • Thump, the modem is an Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem that came with inspiron laptops... if you need anymore info please let me know
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Modems are hard to identify some times. Some modems you can just pull out and then google the chipset model and find drivers or use that little trick you told us about. To bad the FCC number identifcation doesn;t work since they on list group 15 instead of 63.

A few years ago when I frist got a 56k modem, it was a 3com Winmodem. Worked fine and everything and I was happy as hell. Then I got that millisa virus and it fucked up my PC an then I reformated. I went to install my modem drivers and poped in the floppy tryed to access it and it was fucked. I tryed calling 3com to get a new driver disk but they wanted to charge 4 dollors a minute on the call so I went ahead and hooked back up my old 28.8 modem and went on 3coms website. I tryed looking up the model number, no luck. I tryed looking at every modem they had by picture and no luck. A friend of mine down the street even had the same modem as me but his drivers were on CD and strangly his modem was a full ISA 16bit card and mine was only half 16bit. Well his driver CD didn't work. Damn modem cost me 80 bucks, couldn't return it also. I had to live with my old 28.8k modem for another year before I broke down and bought another 56k modem. Before I got the new 56k modem I would check 3coms site every now and then to find the drivers. I even tryed looking on some driver websites. Shortly after I got my new 56kmodem I found out that all this time the Windows98 CD had the drivers. It was the generic 3com winmodem drivers and they were windows95 compatable.

Since then i've pretty much boycotted 3Com.
    56k... ISA... winmodems??? I thought winmodems were much newer then ISA. Half 16-bit? That would mean...8-bit? Unless I misread, your story doesn't add up.
  • Theres I think 5 diffrent types of ISA buses.

8bit
    16bit
    32bit

I can only remember the 3 common ones. Anyway, the winmodem was 16bit but uses a 8bit type card configuration. Winmodems come in ISA and PCI format. The older (frist gen) winmodems were mostly ISA since most systems still had a ISA bus.

http://www.usr.com/support/product-temp ... ?prod=5683

I finaly found the info on the damn thing. It's a Winmodem / Faxmodem. Back in the day 3com and US Robitcs use to be the same company. Not use if they are still together. Anyway look at the picture and you will see what i mean.
  • Ah, well maybe it uses half a 16-bit's possible lines, but could it still operate in a 16-bit mode? I don't think many machines past the 286 had 8-bit ISA, and I doubt you'd get 56k on a 286. And what kind of 56k? Is this thing only a v.90 after updates?
  • It wasn't v.90 or v.92. It was some gay thing called 56k-X2 meaning it went faster then 56k. Bsicly it was the frist gen of the v.92 type. From what I can remember the modem needed atlest a 486 to work. I bet I can pop it into one of my old 386s and install win95 and it would work. Ofcorse it wouldn't work in a 286 since you can't run win95 on a 286 and there arn't any drivers for Win3.x.

A lot of 286s have 16bit ISA.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    It wasn't v.90 or v.92. It was some gay thing called 56k-X2 meaning it went faster then 56k. Bsicly it was the frist gen of the v.92 type. From what I can remember the modem needed atlest a 486 to work. I bet I can pop it into one of my old 386s and install win95 and it would work. Ofcorse it wouldn't work in a 286 since you can't run win95 on a 286 and there arn't any drivers for Win3.x.

A lot of 286s have 16bit ISA.
    Uhm... V.90 is X2 and kflex combined.... V.92 is improved compression and upload.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Theres I think 5 diffrent types of ISA buses.

8bit
    16bit
    32bit

You're kidding, right? (fail) ISA was never 32-bit. That's why it was replaced by PCI, which originally was 32-bit, then extended to 64.
    Heh... I stopped at his incorrect info of modem standards... but go on. He mentioned that his modem is "half 16bit" so... does it only use half of the slot? It couldn't possibly be an 8bit modem.
  • There was 32bit ISA, it didn't do to well and IBM's PCI bus kicked it's ass.. Half16bit meaning it used half of a 16bit ISA bus. I can't remember that X2 crap. It's been years since I saw the manual to that modem. If I don't use the term I forget what it means lol.
  • There are ISA cards that are 16bit but use the 8bit format. I havn't found a link for the 32bit ISA. If you can locate a older copy of the Hardware Bible it might list it.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    There are ISA cards that are 16bit but use the 8bit format. I havn't found a link for the 32bit ISA. If you can locate a older copy of the Hardware Bible it might list it.

maybe the reason you cant find a link is because it doesnt exist? :P
  • I haven't found anything in Scott Muellers Upgrading and Repairing PC's. While keeping things updated every year, he does start from the beginining. His earlier books were pretty much 100% IBM computers (even found my 386 in there). If he doesn't mention a 32-bit ISA bus, it probably didn't exist.

I'll go out on a limb here, you might mean IBM's MCA? That was slated to be an ISA replacement, and was in fact 32-bit, it was made to match the 386's 32-bit data paths (except the sx.....had those cut in half).
  • Nope nope and nope. It's called ESA bus. I found a video from one of my old A+ cert books that came with a CD full of videos. Heres the link.

http://tcpmeta.dyndns.org/videos/ISA_BUS.avi

The video is a little over 50MBs.
  • Your a fucking dumb ass. I have proof right here.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/buses/ ... ISA-c.html

Extended Industry Standard Architecture Bus

They call it EISA or ESA. Next time you try to say im wrong you better think twice.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    There was 32bit ISA, it didn't do to well and IBM's PCI bus kicked it's ass.. Half16bit meaning it used half of a 16bit ISA bus. I can't remember that X2 crap. It's been years since I saw the manual to that modem. If I don't use the term I forget what it means lol.
    It wasn't IBM's PCI bus... Intel made PCI for the Pentium.
  • The 3 ISAs (3 if you want to count VESA) are rather different from EISA, in more ways then just width (8/16/32/etc).

And if I remember, EISA trounced MCA.

-Q
  • EISA is more of an enhanced version of ISA. There weren't many cards made for it, but it was backwards compatable with ISA so it had alot of use even if you couldn't get EISA hardware.
  • I ran into on it Compaq Deskpros, which were brimming with EISA, complete with complimentary EISA video and someones old ISA TokenRing cards.

-Q
  • Mine had some old PCI Video card. The thing had 10bT and TR combo on the MB and had this EISA 10bT TR NIC (Same chipset as MB one).