Domains...

edited December 2004 in Software
well i decided to play around with having a domain controller on my network..... now..... i see how it works.... but i don't see the point exactly..... i mean if your using 95/98 workstations you can make them hard to get into by forceing them to validate your logon with a domain server.... and you can set 95/98 to not use seperate profiles for different users.....

ok.... heres the situation..... say you have a huge network... with like 200 + users.....

and you want each user to be able to use a different workstation... but you don't want to have to wait for the work station to create a new user profile each time they log on for the first time.....

and you don't want to waste space for 200 + users....

can you have it so that say a domain user could log on to a NT machine but have NT not create a new profile for them? kinda like 95/98 does.... only just for domain users..... liek still make new profiles for local users.... but not domain users.......

if thats confusiing ask questions to help clarify.... also i'm new to domains, so this is a learning expericance.....

Comments

• It sounds vaguely like roaming profiles.

This is what it sounds like: you want the usrs be be able to logon normally @ any machine, but not have to create e profile @ each one?

-Q
  • yeah pretty much.......

the romaing profile might be it.... but when a user logs on a workstation they haven't before i dont' want them to wait for a new profile to be created and i don't want the profiles stored on the workstation.....
  • The profiles are on the server...

-Q
  • yeah.... but like couldn't it use like a guest profile instead of creating a new one or using a server profile?
  • Wait, you want everyone to login as guest?

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i wouldnt bother BS takes f**king ages to log in and when you do it takes ages to log out. they may be fine for businesses and the like but they're a waste of time for home users.
  • I know 98 gives you the option to make a local profile at logon if you haven't done so already. I dunno about never even making the profile on the local machine, but roaming profiles sound right.
  • ok well first let me say that i'm not doing this for my home network for daily use or whatever, its just so that i can learn how it works....

ok roaming profiles seem to be it.... plus domain user.... but how do you make the domain user be a roaming profile?

anyways i guess what it is that i want isn't what windows does.... in that a domain is simply a list of users... and that way you don't have to create a new user on each machine you just wait for the profile to be created.....

what i wanted was like..... in the domain to be able to set users as either admins or guests.. an admin user, when logging on the workstation would create a profile.... but when a guest user would log on it would simply pull up a guest profile instead.....

Situation: School network..... techs and teachers have admin accounts and students have guest accounts.... so when a student logs on to a workstation... no new profile is created but when a teacher or tech logs on a new profile is created...

i'm guessing that nothing does that .. i think i have what i wanted to know.... i want to know more about roaming profiles though
  • i think i seen this on win 2000 on my old highschool the students had a student domain on the network teachers had their own and techs and adms had one tooo but there was no user domain just a default for anyone without an id, and Qs right these profiles are all on the server.
  • I'd be interestede in these Roaming things... considering I go from laptop to desktop to my parent's laptop to parent's desktops and this would make it easier. Of course I'd still need local usr accounts somehow... since the laptops can't always be on the ntwrk. Can it like sync with the roaming profile, work mobiley off the net, then save changes later? I thought Fish had something like that...
  • I just found out that my school does the coolest thing...I can log in to my user name from any of the schools by changing the domain..
  • nightice wrote:
    I just found out that my school does the coolest thing...I can log in to my user name from any of the schools by changing the domain..
    My school network has been changing (for good and bad) in the past few years. At first, machines with windows 2000 would say that our profile cannot be found, so windows would create a default one and remove it when we log out. This year they fixed it, but having a profile lets us customize our desktops, I think that was something they didn't want. Also, when I log into a computer a dos box appears and processes... a login script I guess.... and it randomly seems to run from different machines in different schools.. So I can log in at the high school... and a script from an elementary school is actually processing my login request.... talk about WAN...
  • I log in from anywhere, I get a login script, but I think it's processed on the local servers.
  • here at work, our login script is processed in texas
  • i get a log on script somtimes at my school

its something to do with time like..

net [somthign about syncing the time] EHHS401
  • chigowolfs wrote:
    here at work, our login script is processed in texas

might as well be processed in china.
  • Lol, I think ours are minimized or I don't notice them. Do they come up in XP? It takes ages to log in. I don't think background info travels w/ the log in tho...
  • If you logon to 2000 or XP (with tweaks) you see stuff like apply setting, etc.

That's what I see when I logon over a domain in XP. Unless I'm missing something. Might have to check.
  • Our school uses Novell Netware. There's a central server(s) down in a room. Every student has their own ID with 50 MB of server space. Permissions are set so the students can't access the C: drive, install stuff, customize desktop etc. So everything is locally within the school.

~Duff
  • i hate the old novell network we had at my old school.... the damn thing was so restriced......

anyways does XP not show the "applying your settings" or "saving your settings" or "logging off" messages when its loging on to a domain? i've noticed the XP PC's at school dont' show them.....

anyways.... so this topic revised: does anyone know a way to get NT to use a default profile, and not create new ones? so that an admin coudl go and set the profile how they wanted and then thats what it would always use and it wouldn't create a new profile?
  • Ummm....

I don't know. The PC's that your using might have the ability to change the settings.

I know the ones I use have that cut off. The desktop is deleted (if I save anything to it), all settings are changed back when I log off.
  • You might do something like edit the default user, and then discard changes made to the usrs profile when logging off...

-Q
  • BS, i get those messages when i use the schools domain on XP pro.
  • yeh ive got those in XP too
  • What are they anyway?
  • I get those domain messages at school, too.
  • reboot some of the computers and your get "installing managed software [name]"
  • Never had anything like this...
  • i dunno.... i'd say that it went by too fast... but those PC's aren't all that fast besides they all seem to have 128 mb of ram...

anyways i found out how to set a user to use a certain profile on the domain... and the test user works great... i just copied the default profile to the domain and set it to use but when i set another user to use the same default profile windows 2000 says i don't have permission and makeing a temp profile.... @_@

and how do i tell it to "disregaurd changes" ?