Disk compression for FAT32

edited December 2004 in Software
Is there a disk compressing utility that compresses FAT32 drives? My laptop does not have a lot of room (1.4GB drive) and I want to compress the files down as much as possible. DriveSpace 3 included with windows 98 will not do it. Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Stacker for Windows.
    better than DriveSpace.
  • Where can I get this?
  • I should warn you that whole drive compression can backfire disastrously at times, so make sure there's nothing really vital on there.

-Q
  • Yeah, Q is right. Drive compression never worked fine for me... always caused a lot of problems.
    My advice, install NT4, and use NTFS filesystem... Then rightclick on your drive and check "compress c:"
    This will be much safier.
  • Use NTFS instead of FAT32, it saves TONS of space.
  • He's using Windows 98 LOL

And compression just makes the PC run slower :P
  • The best compression is to make archives from files you haven't used a lot
  • I assume you've gone though and removed stuff you don't need/want. Have you thought about 98Lite?

-Q
  • Don't think it will free up much...
  • Compressing it won't mess up. Some programs might have problems running on a compressed drive. The laptop will run a bit slower. Just hope you don't crash the laptop and have to repartition, it's a bit tricky to repartition it if you don't know FDISK that well.
  • I'm fine with NTFS, but can you upgrade to NT 4 from Windows 95?
  • Yeah, if you don't want Win95 around. Keep in mind you'll have to use PartitionMagic to convert it to FAT so you can install NT and convert it to NTFS. Or you could reformat.
  • Partition Magic isn't free.....
  • trainer4 wrote:
    I'm fine with NTFS, but can you upgrade to NT 4 from Windows 95?
    It's possible only when upgrading it to NT4 Workstation. Won't upgrade if you are trying to install NT4 Server
  • Just delete WIN.COM from the C:\Windows directory and then install NT4 over it with a NTFS partition. The partition can be converted with out reformating it.

Thing is you need SP4 or higher built into the NT4 install so it can use the whole drive if it's over 2GB. Or you can start from scratch and reformat then make a 2GB partiton then install SP6 and install partition magic and expand the partition.
  • Interesting. Why to delete Win.Com?
  • Why not just integrate SP6a into the installation of NT4 then install it. Or even better install Win2000.

Although with 2000 you would be limiting your space left on hard drive. :S

Richard
  • you cant intergrate NT SPs AFAIK
  • You Can't. Noone has figured out how to integerate a SP to NT4.

And the size is more like 8GB, not 2GB.

And I might be getting NT SP4 Integerated :-)
  • Really oh my bad then I assumed they would be like Windows 2000 and XP in that you can integrate the files with the cd.

Richard
  • Some people say you can, but the stuff they ssay doesn't work half the time.

Now, there is one but it's fucken hard to do. Compress all files on the SP4 CD (ex: EX_) And replace them on the origional CD.
  • ive got an SP3 CD if i get very bored.... LOL