some ?'s

edited January 2005 in Hardware
on this page

http://www.superspeed.com/servers/ramdiskplus.php

it says that ramdisk plus can keep info on ram until next start of the system i wonder if its possible to permenatly write to ram and do something stupid and rig some wires into an ide from a portion of the ram that holds a hd emulator wich tells another chip on the ram to boot into a mini linux or live system i have a gig and can get 2 gigs of ram so i bet i could hold a live system

Comments

• That site wrote:
    When enabled, RamDisk Plus automatically saves the entire image of the RAM disk to a special image file located on a user-specified disk partition or volume at system shutdown.

It just saves the RAMdisk to the hard drive on shutdown and copies it back on startup.

-Q

PS. *Moved to HW talk*
  • TweakXP 4 can do the same
  • But why bother, the second your computer freezes / crashes its all gone :P
  • I think he was confused about how it was "persistent" and getting his own ideas.

-Q
  • As for me, I didn't find any way why to use ramdrives on modern PCs
  • bootdisks
  • Isn't RAMdisk similar to hibernation from what Q quoted?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Similar, but not the same. Hibernation takes the contents of memory and saves it to disk so it can be restored on restart. RAMdisks create a virtual "drive" out of memory, and save to the disk on shutdown, etc, etc.

-Q
  • hibernation is great for laptops
  • Great for desktops too.
  • Yea I hibernate my laptop a lot, since I have some issue that makes logging on take a while.
  • if that battery is about to die thats when it comes in useful
  • Tomchu wrote:
    This is also why I tried to use Linux
    did I read that right?
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Yes. I followed a fairly recent version of the LFS book, making my own distro from scratch, optimizing everything to hell along the way.

It was *still* *slow* *as* *fuck*. And it wouldn't hibernate or standby. An OS that can't hibernate or standby is 100% useless on a laptop. Not to mention it took about 20 hours of work to get a rudimentary dynamic clock scaling system going. The fucking kernel doesn't even have support for that, believe it or not.
    strangely, i had standby on linux. hibernate sucks ass and would fuck linux up so i must of gotten somewhere.