Transplanting a 2k HD

edited January 2005 in Software
My intended server is nearing death by overheating (VERY temperamental fan) and so I'm planning to move the HD into this machine. What would be my best option for booting it - using GAG on a floppy and swap drive numbers? That's the only thing I can think of, because it was installed on the first drive and I don't want it screwing up my current XP install.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know that, I've put in that drive before. What I'm getting at is if i try to boot it, will it screw up my XP partition? Or will 2k think it's on the C: drive?
  • nightice wrote:
    I know that, I've put in that drive before. What I'm getting at is if i try to boot it, will it screw up my XP partition? Or will 2k think it's on the C: drive?
    you cant boot that ver of 2k on to the computer your moving the hd to. windows likes to configure the system and it is set up only for those components, booting it up will make a inaccesable_boot_device error come up.
  • Ok then...so I guess I have to reinstall over the existing copy and fixboot from the XP disk?
  • i guess im not as much as a noobie as i see myself as :)
  • Tom - Really? I thought 2000's ntldr couldn't boot XP. I also happened to see it on some other sites to fixboot after installing 2000.
  • Never mind. It didn't install anyway. Besides, if I'm only going to use it to serve files, what's the point of having something as bloated as 2k anyway?