SERIOUS NOTEBOOK Problem

edited January 2005 in Hardware
I think either the ram chip has been shot or the socket for the ram is fried.

When i boot up it gives me the error: Invalild memory module plugged in.

I rememove the ram...it works just fine. Unfortantly XP dont run so well with only 64 mb of ram.

any ideas which is shot?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • it was working before. the 64 mb is onboard the laptop's mobo. unfortantly i dont have any spares and you need to have something in bank 1 to use something in bank 2
  • well...i reset the bios by removing every power source and now it seems to detect the ram fine. odd.

the bios now shows all 192 installed, but keeps wanting to change it to 65920 kb. (which if my math is correct...is not 64 mb. when before it reported 65536 kb of ram when only the 64 was there.)

odd.
  • okay...so i got to run a memtest tool finally and at:

Addr: (64 M)

Expected: 33cc33cc

Returned: CC33CC33.

Test: Fail

So it apprears that that memory bank or chip is bad. let me try putting it in the top bank and reseeting everything to see it register.
  • okay...bank 2...it is not detected.

now i got to find more ram somewhere.
  • okay...well i bought a 32 mb module for 3 bucks plus 4 bucks shipping.

it will prove to me wheter or not the socket is functional.
  • I would have just put the money to a larger chip, but whatever.
  • well...if the socket is fried..then i have just wasted 37 bucks on a ram chip which i cant use in anything else i own.
  • I had the same problem with a older laptop. Werid thing is it saw the memory fine but in some programs it saw it as 40MBs instead of 64MBs. Windows saw it as 64MB but in a few memory benchmarks it saw it as 40MBs. No the memory wasn't shared into video or anything. I tested the memory module and it was going bad. I bought new memory for it and the damn memory is the wrong size. The manual stats that it uses 144pin. Come to find out Dell used a werid type of 144pin simm and then switched over to the standard 144pin simm with their newer model that was the same system but with a CD-ROM drive.

Anyway, if anyone wants some older 144pin simms that are 32MB each i'll sell it for 5 bucks a stick plus shipping. They work in most older Dell laptops.
  • hmmmm. i wonder if compaq uses(ed) weird sizes....
  • I don't know, but I wouldn't be suprised, it sounds just like something Compaq would do.

-Q
  • My parent's new Compaq used the Dell out of my laptop fine when I upgraded it. Now I just need a new space bar, control key, and possibly a modem. :-/
  • Today, not many companies make their own "special" parts. So that's nothing to worry about any more.

And don't be fooled if you open a Compaq or Dell and find tons of little stickers that say "Please replace with spare part #1234567890" Compaq did this, but it was just to insure you get the right stuff (noobs) It didn't mean it was a special part.

Actually, My 8.4GB and 12GB ex-HD's have that stucker on it. And a few sticks of RAM in my old systems that I got off eBay.
  • My ram has please replace with part KTC311/128 on it. which is the 200 dollar kingston version of what looks like normal 144 pin SODIMM SDRAM.
  • No, but alot of old stuff was like that, and almost all of us have and hence will try and use this old stuff, so it's a warning well remembered.

-Q