Switch or Hub

edited January 2005 in Hardware
What are the differences? Becuase I want to add a few of my computers on my network... and to make a long story short, as i said what are the differences?

Comments

• Switch segments the network into seperate collision domains, hubs just repeat everything they get to everyone else. I'd recommend a switch, just based on that and the fact that I don't know anything about your network, unless you're really worried about latency, which switches do increase.

-Q
  • Switches are generally better, but hubs tend to be alot cheaper and suit the needs for most users.

Switch allows you to send 100 MB/sec up and down at the same time. Plus you get 100MB of bandwidth to each PC.

On a hub you get 100MB/sec for the whole network. One can send 50MB/sec and the other can do 50MB/sec. With a switch both can do 100MB/sec at the same time.

Pending you have a 100MB hub.
  • It comes down to the 2 basic questions of all equiptment:

Type of use and budget.

-Q
  • Personally, I'd go with a hub. More of a budget issue and I don't need one really. But that's just me. I never have more than one transfer going.
  • Id get a hub since they cost less. I'm with Steve on this, since I never have more than a few transfers going, and the PCs on my hub will never do much (except for this one, or Mr. C's or Q's when theyre here)
  • Can you give us any more information about your setup, or do you already have your mind set now?

-Q
  • wtf? Get a switch. I don't think they even sell hubs in most stores anymore. Sure they're cheaper, but if you've got one kid on Kazaa, one on BT, and on server, you might not be too happy.

On sale at CompUSA this week: http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... 20matchall
  • wtf? Get a switch. I don't think they even sell hubs in most stores anymore. Sure they're cheaper, but if you've got one kid on Kazaa, one on BT, and on server, you might not be too happy.

On sale at CompUSA this week: http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... 20matchall

Most hubs can handle 200Mbps at a time, so yea the small ammount of bandwidth that those p2p programs are using shouldnt cause a slow down.
  • yea hub+ server and aza = argh... the routers lights go like crazy
  • Fish, it's not the total amount of bandwidth, it's the multiple uses @ once. If you're the only one really doing anything then it'll go fine, but if you have more then 1 major bandwidth user on a hub it's gonna get degraded. And as was shown, a decent small switch doesn't have to be too expensive.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ok, here is the diagram:

note that this network may expand on both ends, just to put something out.

netdiag.PNG

Don't ask why i have 2 servers, the IBM one i use mainly for documents, and the emachines, for backup purposes.

And to put some usage stuff:

My laptop connects to the linksys router wirelessly, and occassionally uses the IBM computer, while my brothers computer downloads stuff off my computer, my computer connects to the emachines computer about every day.

and that was my info, i think right now i am going to get a switch.
  • I would go for a switch, but I use a hub because it was only
  • In OpenNet there are all switches... I suggest a switch, though I never used hubs
  • ive got a hub cos my dads work threw it out so i got it
  • I might hook up an old 10mbps.... real big one, not sure if it's a hub or a switch.