So CTG pumps the voltage into a K6-2

edited January 2005 in Hardware
Yeah, he IMs me telling me hes running a 1.9 volt CPU in a 2.8 volt socket... That things going to die SO FAST LOL, then when I say it wont work for long, he says "Yes it will"

So now he tells me he needs thermal transfer stuff to fix that.

Need I say more?

Comments

• Anyway to lower the voltage or is it just a bad combo?

-Q
  • Bad combo... Socket 7 board with a Super Socket 7 CPU.
  • Im not going to use it in the socket 7 pentium. Im going to get a board for it. I asked the man that sold it to me if it would work. He said he didn't know he would have to see the board to be able to tell. Scence everyone saids not to im not. And this doesen't make me a idiot. Im new with building computers and have not had any schooling. We all have to learn somewhere. Im going tomorrow and get some compound and put the pentium back in the DeskPro. I WAS told by SOMEONE that they put a AMD k6-2 in a Compaq Deskpro. I just can't remember who told me that.
  • Isn't it possible to lower the voltage via jumpers? Or is that it's minimum?
  • It's the minimum. I got the same mainboard. It's MMX only. 166-200-233 if It's the same one.
  • Its a Compaq Deskpo 5200 MMX
  • CompTech wrote:
    Im new with building computers and have not had any schooling. We all have to learn somewhere. Im going tomorrow and get some compound and put the pentium back in the DeskPro.
    Maybe you shouldnt have said "yes it will" when I told you its not going to work, and "right like a 17 year old knows more than me"... HAHAHA of course I do! Older people always know less about computers than younger ones.

CompTech wrote:
    I WAS told by SOMEONE that they put a AMD k6-2 in a Compaq Deskpro. I just can't remember who told me that.

Sure it will fit and start, but it sure as hell isnt going to last long.
  • edited January 2005
    CompTech wrote:
    Im new with building computers and have not had any schooling. We all have to learn somewhere. Im going tomorrow and get some compound and put the pentium back in the DeskPro.
    Maybe you shouldnt have said "yes it will" when I told you its not going to work, and "right like a 17 year old knows more than me"... HAHAHA of course I do! Older people always know less about computers than younger ones.

CompTech wrote:
    I WAS told by SOMEONE that they put a AMD k6-2 in a Compaq Deskpro. I just can't remember who told me that.

*EDIT* My dad knows more about computers than me and has more certification etc...
  • briliant post ridgback,....
  • jcmoor wrote:
    CompTech wrote:

CompTech wrote:

*EDIT* My dad knows more about computers than me and has more certification etc...

Thats because he shelters you from the computer world. He wont let you scrap new systems for parts, and he wont even let you know the admin login to the router.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    CompTech wrote:

CompTech wrote:

Thats because he shelters you from the computer world. He wont let you scrap new systems for parts, and he wont even let you know the admin login to the router.

I can scrap any system I want (as long as I own it), and you said they ALWAYS know less.

You are wrong.
  • /me looks @ ridgbacks sig......
  • BOD wrote:
    /me looks @ ridgbacks sig......
    Aaaand?
  • the letters sigfree gets cut off and it hasnt bin updated in aaages....
    awwes at power of system