Installing or Upgrading Windows XP without it......

edited January 2005 in Software
....over writting the MBR.

I have this problem where i install linux or freebsd, and then i have to reinstall windows or upgrade windows and then i have to somehow reinstall the boot load. any ideas how to install or upgrade windows without it messing with ma mbr?

Comments

• Re-install the GRUB bootloader after you install XP.
  • Save your MBR in a file using WinImage Pro 7.x or something like, then after it got replaced, replace it back.
  • okay...easy...now to find a temp os that will run good enough on 64 mb of ram. perhaps win2000?
  • no way.... NT4
  • 2K runs perfect on my P2 233 with 64MB RAM
  • How about Windows ME!!!!!!

lol. j/k.

Installing Win 98 now...
  • Win2000runs great on my P1 with 40MB RAM. Actually it was RC1 of 2000, but good enough...
  • Neptune!! ::D :wink:

-Q
  • Neptune was after 2000. It was dropped after MS picked Whistler to be the next OS.
  • Neptune is awesome though. Ran it in a VPC with 64 MB RAM and it ran quite nicely. But it is a beta, and has it's quirks.

~Duff
  • its only temporary, and also so i can have a FAT32 part so i can place the iso images on them so i dont have to burn cds of linux....

time to get all the data off....
  • Yes, I myself rather liked Neptune. I tried installing IE 6... and it sorta became IE 5.75.... it said 6, but it was 5... something messed up with it. Would have been nice to see neptune run something.
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    2K runs perfect on my P2 233 with 64MB RAM
    Will never believe that. Until I look by myself.
    This cannot be, 2000 ran not very well on Celeron733 with 128megs...
  • I ran it on P1 166 with 64MB...not too shabby. I didn't disable any srevices and it was quite snappy, especially at browsing (tho the netcard....that's another thread).
  • I've tried to install 2000 on my 486, but I didn't have enough ram in it. I have put 2000 on my pentium 1 with 128MB and 192MB, it ran rather decently. I have 2000 now on my 566 Celron (mini) which originally had 128MB of ram, so it was weaker then the Celeron Slash refers to, but it ran it again rather well, upgrading to 256 did help, need to upgrade to 512 though.....
  • Heh, I ran it on 486 with 64Megs and I even could clone cds on that system... but that wasn't fast at all.
  • 2000 is running perfectly on a P3 500 | 64 MB of ram.
  • James Babb wrote:
    2000 is running perfectly on a P3 500 | 64 MB of ram.
    Maybe... maybe... when you disable all unneeded stuff...
  • Slash wrote:
    James Babb wrote:

huh? win2ks minumum requirements are like P133 and 32MB ram (even though ive ran it on 24)
  • It's 64 MB of RAM on the newer versions.

And 64 Mb is murder. Get 128 MB or more.
  • I've ran it on 486 with 16 megs of ram in safe mode too, but that was retardful...
    I think you should have 128 at least for a pleasant work.
  • Slash wrote:
    James Babb wrote:

i've disabled nothing
  • Micro's Windows 2000 requirments:

Minimum Requirements
    Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
    Memory At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.
    Hard Disk 2 GB with 650 MB free space.
    CPU Support Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems.
    Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive.
    Display VGA or higher resolution monitor.
    Keyboard Required.
  • Windows 2k Professional Will Run On 233mhz 32mb And Not Slow... Well Slow I Guess .. But Usable .. Of Coarse Anything Slower Then 233mhz Includeing 233mhz Should Use Linux ... Or My Personal Favorite NetBSD,OpenBSD,FreeBSD .. :)
  • I was going to say something when you said Linux then I saw your favourite OS. ;-)