A question about ClearType

edited January 2005 in Software
Windows XP has the ClearType (tm) technology included for better text support for lcd monitors.... I'm just curious is there a seperate download or a program that will install ClearType for Windows 95/98/ME? I'm tired of looking at horrible looking text on my laptop....

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Although there's no way to duplicate ClearType--the XP technology that dramatically improves readability, especially on LCD panels. You should use the font-smoothing feature available for your version of Windows. Font smoothing is built into Windows 98 and Me, but you may not have it enabled. To check, head to the Display Properties settings, which you can pull up by right-clicking any empty spot on the desktop and choosing Properties from the pop-up menu. Click the Effects tab, and then look to see if the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" box is checked. If it's not, check it and click OK. Your eyes will thank you.
  • ^ 95 with plus has that too doesnt it???
  • NitricAcid you are mixing cleartype with font smoothing...
    There IS ClearType Addpn for Win2000, but I've never heard about it for Win9x
  • ClearType is ugly. It looks like my glasses have something on them that blurs everything up.
  • try it on a TFT and ull take that back (y)
  • I have a 17'' LCD monitor and just got the ClearType Powertoy and it does make a noticable difference.
  • Annorax wrote:
    I have a 17'' LCD monitor and just got the ClearType Powertoy and it does make a noticable difference.

you dont need a powertoy :P its there anyways, its somewhere in display properties
  • ClearType looks amazingly perfect on my CRT... no matter what you say its designed for LCDs
    That is the thing I most like in XP.
  • I use ClearType on both my 17" CRT, and my laptop TFT screen. It made a big (better) difference on the CRT, and really big difference on the TFT. Everything is alot easier to read.

~Duff
  • BOD wrote:
    Annorax wrote:
    I have a 17'' LCD monitor and just got the ClearType Powertoy and it does make a noticable difference.

you dont need a powertoy :P its there anyways, its somewhere in display properties

Display Properties > Appearance Tab > Effects

"Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:"

Choose ClearType.

It will make a hell of a difference even on CRT's.
  • Being @ Fishes I can't try that now...

-Q
  • yeh and try using a dos window, or putty.... ugh