Mac HD in IBM laptop boot problems.

QQ
edited January 2005 in Hardware
OK, we took the HD out of a Apple laptop and put it in a IBM laptop. Now when we're trying to boot the IBM laptop to a bootdisk to repartition/format this, it just wont boot no matter what boot order we select. Even if we just set it to floppy ONLY and stick a bootable floppy in, it starts to read the floppy, but then it just sits there forever...

Any ideas how we can somehow overcome this?

-Q

Comments

• that's odd....an apple hd should be a standard ide hard disk.....and it should definatly not be affecting the boot of another dievice.....

what bootable floppy are you using?
  • format a: /s on 95. Also, selecting ONLY CDROM and trying to boot to a 2000 CD does the same thing (I know it's a bootable CD).

-Q
  • that's just weird....................
  • Maybe the hard disk controller is defective? Hold F1 on power up, go to diagnostics and select "hard disk".
  • It gives the following error:

DEV 017
    ERR 16
    FRU 6010

I have no idea how to read those...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It gives the following error:

DEV 017
    ERR 16
    FRU 6010

I have no idea how to read those...

-Q
    go on ibms support site and lookup the model of the thinkpad in support and it will list the fru numbers (which are parts.)
  • All the FRU #s are like 7 charachters and have letters in them.

-Q
  • Q, did the ibm boot prior to the hd switch???, try flashing the ibm bios, because the hd is not oem!!! and alot of times the oem hd is coded in the bios with the thinkpads .if this dont work let me know
  • It booted to a floppy fine beforehand, and I tried to update the BIOS, but it wont without a battery in it!!

O and it booted to the flash diskette...

-Q

PS. Trying with PM disks now...
  • Do you think that my old Compaq batteries might help? (They hold about an hpurs worth of charge). Do you think they will fit?
  • What are their demensions?

-Q

PS. Incase it's just taking hours to boot, I've left it on the floor booting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I doubt it's the IBM drive.

Apple does use funny firmware on their drives.
  • It's a Toshiba...

-Q

PS. Hmm! Now I remember, quick, 20 diskettes and this might just work!
  • Q wrote:
    What are their demensions?

-Q

PS. Incase it's just taking hours to boot, I've left it on the floor booting.
    3" Wide, 1" Thick, 6" Long
  • What do the connectors look like.

-Q

PS. The IBM HD firmware update diskette doesn't want to boot.
  • Q wrote:
    It's a Toshiba...

-Q

PS. Hmm! Now I remember, quick, 20 diskettes and this might just work!
    20? I don't know why the drive isn't working right. When I got my external hard drive enclosure with a 40GB drive in it, it was formated for use on a mac (though the seller claimed it working for him in windows 2000). I was able to hook it up to my mini and format it just fine....
  • 5 small slots and one big one.
  • Q wrote:
    It booted to a floppy fine beforehand, and I tried to update the BIOS, but it wont without a battery in it!!

O and it booted to the flash diskette...

-Q

PS. Trying with PM disks now...

Q your cmos battery died? if this is the case, you will need to get a new battery/ flash the bios, for the other hdd to work, IMB has the hdd that came with the laptop hardcoded in the original bios, so if it doesnt find the original hdd they dont like to boot, unless the bios has been updated. If you have any Q's please ask
  • my rememdy for a laptop that doesnt work is throwing it against a wall
  • Q, are there any strange jumpers on that Apple drive... jumpers we don't usually see on normal HDDs?
  • i shook my tobitia's mobo when it refused to start, i was desperate to get some shit off of it, and it started right up after that. :)
  • yeh mine did that, something was loose and it got stuck or something
  • yeah, i had a box and was ready to part it out. but now that i have some stuff off of there, i have no use for another working laptop , since i have 4 notebooks.
  • N I mean the BIOS wont update unless it's plugged into AC AND has a charged up battery installed (It only has AC).

What I'm thinking of now is to boot without the HD and then quick insert it when/before the OS loads.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    N I mean the BIOS wont update unless it's plugged into AC AND has a charged up battery installed (It only has AC).

What I'm thinking of now is to boot without the HD and then quick insert it when/before the OS loads.

-Q
    That wont work, your gonna blow up your IDE controller. Have you tried the diagnostics?

BTW, you can look up the error codes (and much more) in the IBM hardware Maintenance Manual, which is available on IBMs site.
  • Grr it fails on performing the ECC test with the suggestion to replace the disk.

Looks like I'm going for a new HD, and a new Mactop, or just all the screws to put the old one back together.

-Q
  • you'll also blow a fuse, i did that with my server, new fuse for me
  • Q wrote:
    a new Mactop
    ! really?
  • I'll try putting the original back together 1st.

Hmm, that is a most interesting thing, Mental.

-Q