Windows 95 Original installation and VirtualPC

edited January 2005 in Software
So I tried making images of all of the directories of the zip... each DMF 2048, with winimage. I used a win95 boot disk to start the virtual machine, formated the drive with fdisk and format, then ran setup from the first floppy (image). The installation starts, it then asks for disk2, I change it, it goes ok. But when it gets to the "select type of installation" part, it says that it can't read the floppy... wtf? Anyways, then it just loops back with that message box.

So what do I do? It there a better way to install Win95 on VirtualPC?

Comments

• just make an ISO image
  • Check the image that causes error message to find out whats wrong with it.
    I dunno, I always made an ISO image for that..
  • BOD wrote:
    just make an ISO image
    of what? what's extracted from the archive isn't in the normal windows 95 cd format...
  • Slash wrote:
    Check the image that causes error message to find out whats wrong with it.
    I dunno, I always made an ISO image for that..
    It's the second disk, and I really don't know what I can do...
  • Wait, are you using real diskettes formatted at DMF 2048, or .ima images?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Wait, are you using real diskettes formatted at DMF 2048, or .ima images?

-Q
    .ima, of course... also formatted as DMF 2048
  • So it reads the 1st image fine, but then can't read the rest of them?

-Q
  • Does MS-VPC even read floppy images larger then 1.44MB?? I know the old VPC can only read 1.44MB images,
  • It detects 1.68 DMF as 1.44Mb
  • Q wrote:
    So it reads the 1st image fine, but then can't read the rest of them?

-Q
    it reads disk2 too, it seems, since it's required before the "typical/minumum/custom" choices.

I don't know if it reads the later ones since I can't get there.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Does MS-VPC even read floppy images larger then 1.44MB?? I know the old VPC can only read 1.44MB images,
    Seems like it, no error.
  • So it goes fine and then suddenly realizes that it can't read the floppy it's been reading fine to date?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    So it goes fine and then suddenly realizes that it can't read the floppy it's been reading fine to date?
    ud be suprised how many times that could happen to a person
  • The same thing happend to me but I was useing real disks and I formated to 1.68MB and got the same exact eror!
  • You're right TCPMeta, Virtual PC dosen't supports DMF disks, it reads only the firsts 1.44mb of the disks... The same applies to VMWare Workstation (version 4.5).

So, If you guys REALLY want to install Win95 original (which I can't find any use for it, no offense...), you have to do it :

- on a REAL pc, or
    - get the 30 disk version (it's on 1.44 disks) or
    - Get Win95 OSR2!
  • It reads DMF disks. I've installed 95 original on virtual PC and had no problems.
  • I had a problem like that with my Packard Bell

I would put the 1st disk in and load it, and put the 2nd one in and it would say that, so I canceled and did A:/dir and it's the first floppy even though the 2nd one is in there. I had to take the disk out and do a:/dir and put the disk in and hit retry... Wierd