New HD questions.

QQ
edited January 2005 in Hardware
I'm thinking of getting a newer, bigger HD to replace the 20GB D: in BlacII.1 as it's getting annoyingly small, AND has periodically shown signs of wearing out.

This leads me to a question: Should I be looking @ SATA or just normal ATA (PATA) ? What are the real differences between them, and is one clearly better then the other? Depending on the answer I'll go from there.

-Q

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    As a minimum, 7200 RPM and 8 MB cache.

Do they make SATAs with less then that speed?
    Tomchu wrote:
    Parallel ATA
    - Ugly, hard to handle cabling

Don't care, I've worked with it for this long I can keep doing so
    Tomchu wrote:
    - Proven to work in every OS out there
    - No hassles with compatibility

This is what's catching me up, I'm not sure if I'd need to use it in an old system/with an old OS.
    Tomchu wrote:
    - On its way out

Yea, but still a live standard
    Tomchu wrote:
    Serial ATA
    - Much sexier, thin cabling

See above
    Tomchu wrote:
    - Works in most OSes, either through a driver for your SATA controller, or because of BIOS interfaces emulating IDE

Hmm, this ~
  • Go for SATA

i hate normal IDE cables, especially in small cases.
  • Well...certainly...if you have a SATA controller i would higly recommend you get a SATA drive. I actually have found that i prefer the SATA cabeling better because its so much smaller.

But if you do not, i recommend standard PATA drive.

_________
    Speed: Nothing slower than 7200 rpm.
    Size: Up to you.
    Brand: Maxtor
  • James Babb wrote:
    Brand: Maxtor

HaHa! Someone else likes them.

No I'm not doing RAID.

Nor do I think that the pwr supply has SATA pwr cables. I wonder if they include them with drives or if I'll have to get them seperately.

-Q
  • my hard drive is a maxtor
  • My main 3 or 4 all are. They seem to be a good company.

-Q
  • My 20GB is a seagate
  • The 8GB that the Compaq used was a Seagate, but it'll honestly depend on what I can get for what price.

-Q
  • I've got 2 WDs (2GB and 250GB) and they're real nice. The 250GB is kinda hefty (I think it has 3 platters) and makes a nice resounding clunk at poweroff, but is otherwise silent.
  • my main server is a seagate.... the mailserver is a quantum fireball (i hope not)
  • Ahh, Quantum Fireballs... Fish and I used to be soo obsessed with them.

@least it's not a Prodrive, those were loud.

-Q
  • its loud, but still goind, they all came in Dells (well the ones i have)
  • since this topic seems to be about hds, is this a good hd to get or should i look around?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... pNo=985129
  • Wow... I think I need a new hard drive.... 200GB too small for you Q.... my god.... the biggest drive I have is 80GB... and it has damaged sectors and I doubt the longevity of it (I got it from a friend, he got it from a friend, I was the first one to actually check the drive's functionality). Anyways, I don't have SATA so I guess I'm stuck with good old IDE.... (unless I buy a controller card)

If I do get another hard drive, I don't really know which computer to put it in.... I could put it in my mini and ghost it's current drive onto it (I don't know, but I expect my mini to max out at the 137GB limit), My dell should be able to take larger drives easily, but I don't really want to put another hard drive in that one, and lastly there is my new/old toy, if any of you remember me mentioning serverus (a rather crappy computer) it's been replaced by a weaker but stable computer named Dual. It's a dual P Pro @ 200Mhz each. The thing only takes FPM,EDO, and BEDO ram though so I have to get one of those kinds and boost it a bit (any suggestions?). I put the 80 GB in there, I kept the small 2.5GB drive that was in there as the OS drive, and now the 80GB is a secondary (it did have windows on it though I didn't really like that windows was on the same partition as many gigs of stuff).
  • I'm hoping at some point to get a verl large drive of some sort to make a basic server for backup archiving purposes. SATA would be best since I want to upgrade it to GigE to get maximum transmission speed. SATA boards are going to have to be Athlon's, I kind of wanted to use my PIII. Maybe I can use an add-on card.
  • BOD wrote:
    its loud, but still goind, they all came in Dells (well the ones i have)

my dell has a 10gb WD, but i think that was replaced.
  • the later ones ive had PIII and upwards have had maxtors, but the PI and PII models seem to have the fireballs
  • I'm hopefully replacing my computers current hard drives (Western Digital 9 GB UDMA/66 and Maxtor 20 GB ATA-100) with a single WD Caviar SE 2000JD 200GB S-ATA 7200RPM, 8MB hard drive. Seems good for the price of $169 CAD.
    I had a Fireball hard drive back in my old HP Vectra VL and it ran noisely, and it died REALLY noisely.

~Duff