My mini may be dying?

edited February 2005 in Hardware
Ok... I am checking this from school... my sig says my mini is sleeping (when in fact it isn't). Something has been going wrong with my mini lately, mainly cause I tried some stupid SoftFSB program and accidentally got the PLL-IC number wrong, my mini blacked out last night from it instantly. I removed the program and everything else and thought my mini should be fine (I didn't even try to OC it with the program yet, just told it to find the options I could raise the bus speed to). I woke up in the morning and my mini had locked up again, with the hard drive light on, making me believe it froze during it's nightly AV scan. I was controlling it remotely today from school and it was working fine, then I turned on firefox and it disconnected me and aparently crashed in some way. Anyone know if I brought my mini to an untimely death? Also the event viewer mentions some mbmiodrv.sys service not loading, one of the programs was motherboard monitor, but that didn't install right, and I can't find out how to remove traces to the service.

Comments

• I think you need to reinstall windows.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    It's highly unlikely (impossible even?) that you damaged it by using SoftFSB with the wrong PLL chip configuration. When worse comes to worst, usually a cold boot will fix any problems, as the chip gets reset when you turn off the power anyway.
    Ah good to know... it just never acted this way before. I suppos I could format it. I put NT and 2000 on it when I put this newer hard drive in, I don't really use NT at all so I guess I could get rid of that too. I dunno I guess I'll turn my mini on again and see what happens.

Any idea how to remove the mbmio service? It doesn't even list itself in the services manager. (theough the event viewer says that is what's reporting the error)
  • Services are stored in the registry, so you can see if it's still in there.

-Q
  • Sigh, my Dell laptop broke again. Must be the day for these things.
  • Yeah SSH.... my DVD-ROM drive and my DVD Burner drive randomly messed up in my dell saturday. The DVD-ROM drive started reporting itself to windows all wrong. Then my burner wasn't even being detected. I played around with the jumpers and using each drive solo for a few hours. In the end I got both working but something is odd. The dvd-rom is plugged into the ide cable as master, and the burner as slave, but their jumper settings are the opposite, and the computer is going by that instead. They were the other way but I guess my dvd-rom drive couldn't handle being master (it's bigger burner brother beat it up I guess).
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MBMIODRVR
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MBMIODRVR
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MBMIODRVR

Ok, any ideas on how to delete these ones? Regedit doesn't let me remove them. Should I try some other registry editor? Can regedit remove these though some setting unknown to me?
  • Concentrate on the Current one, the other 2 are like backups so if you screw it up you can use Last Known Good.

Check in HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services for it too.

-Q
  • Ok... but still.... how do you remove it? Regedit won't let me delete any of those keys.
  • Is it in \Services\ ?

-Q
  • Uhm... I think it was... and it let me delete that one...
  • Change Start to 4 restart and see what you get. That should set it to Startup Type Disabled.

-Q
  • Change the deleted key?
  • Well, try with that and see what Windows gives you. If it doesn't work then copy it from one of the ControlSetXXXs.

-Q
  • .... change the deleted key.... the only editable values are gone... I can't edit/delete/alter any of the legacy keys, and the service one has been deleted therefor it cannot be changed.... should I just reboot it as it is and see what happens?
  • OK, something is definately screwed up, now I am thinking the hard drive. I noticed that it is't spinning when the computer is locked up. Perhaps windows itself is damaged, though it doesn't appear that windows itself is falling apart. I haven't actually witnessed it locking up as I've been asleep or away or something, I only saw the first time when it blacked out. But these lockups are different, the main difference is I can hold the power button to shut my mini off, the blackout I had to pull the plug. Perhaps I should try another drive and see how that works. While I'm at it I'll try it's current drive in another computer and see if it locks up in that machine.
  • Bad RAM maybe?
  • I thought about that, but I don't think it is bad ram, my mini is always using just about all of it, so if bad ram were the case... it would show itself very shortly after starting up. I did a checkdisk on the hard drive and it reported nothing. I am starting to think of something else... one that can't really be explained yet. It always locks up at night. Whether I have it doing anything or not. Perhaps something that is scheduled to happen at night is the problem. The only thing that comes to mind is AVG's nightly AV scans and updates. I will disable both of these tonight and see what happens. I'll also look for other things that go on at night and stop them if there are any more.