VPC vs. VMware

edited February 2005 in Software
Which one do you like better? I prefer VPC because it emulates real hardware and is more lenient about memory. VMware runs a bit faster on my system, but won't let me give a VM more than about 100 MB of RAM under any circumstances.

Comments

• VMware! I can appriciate some of VMware annoying parts (EG. It can really crash you up if improperly configured) but I find it to be pretty nice. I may have to install VPC just to be able to pass CSE 110 (More on this later).

Also, did you set the total memory to allow more then 100MB memory allocated?

-Q
  • I set the host system to reserve 320 MB and swap most of it. Swapping some or fitting all of it into host memory just makes it tell me to bring down the memory amount more.
  • i like the connectix version of vpc but when im in linux, of course i use vmware, its like the only half decent emulator for that.
    but i perfer vpc because of the better hardware support and its a hell of alot easier to get a vm on the internet.
  • VMWare...i seem to be able to give up to 3 gb of ram to my things only because i allow the memory to be swapped too.

I like VMWare better, however I use VPC sometimes for certain things.
  • I'm getting VPC setup now because VMware can't use .img floppy image files (It only does .flp, which they really should fix).

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I'm getting VPC setup now because VMware can't use .img floppy image files (It only does .flp, which they really should fix).

-Q

actually it can...you just got to select all files when selecting an image....
  • GrRrRrRrR! Alright I waisted a few hours on that...

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.