DMG from PC to Mac

edited February 2005 in Software
I recived a G3 iMac (333) and want to put OSX on it. I already has 9.22. Can I even put OSX on it? I found:

Mac.OS.X.10.3.Panther.Final.Retail.Xcode.[ank][found.with.www.macdonkey.com].dmg

on Q's FTP. Would that work? How would I be able to bring this to the Mac, as it's not on the internet yet? Could I download that and burn it to a CD and pop it in the mac?

Thanks, Nick

Or do I need OSX to open them. Someone said try command-m in OS9's diskcopy then uncheck checksum or something...

Comments

• GRR! So THAT'S what you're doing on my FTP!

You download it to the Mac and if the DMS isn't corrupted you open it with "DiskCopy", which you can get from Apple if it isn't already on there.

-Q
  • so I dont need OSX... What do you mean thats what im doing on your ftp? I just downloaded it, thats all...
  • Some Rhode Island Coxer was on my FTP, and now I know who.

-Q
  • So? According to Fish logic, FTP's are made for leeching and that you should get to used it.
  • So Fish does NOT run my FTP, put stuff on it, administrate it, pay for any of the operating costs etc etc and as such his ethic holds as much wieght on this Comcast loop as mine does on his DSLAM. Does that mean I disgree with him? Depends on what the view is, but saying "Fish says this!" doesn't make me agree to it or have to.

-Q
  • Hey, it was just a comment.
  • I fuckin shut down my pc by mistake and 3 hrs down the crapper... all to vaccum out the dust...
  • Q wrote:
    So Fish does NOT run my FTP, put stuff on it, administrate it, pay for any of the operating costs etc etc and as such his ethic holds as much wieght on this Comcast loop as mine does on his DSLAM. Does that mean I disgree with him? Depends on what the view is, but saying "Fish says this!" doesn't make me agree to it or have to.

-Q

LOL! Fish says this!

I said that warez servers are going to get leechers, no matter how hard you try to stop it when jcmoor complained that I downloaded 1.6GB off him without uploading anything.... I have people get hundreds of gigs off me without uploading, and I never complain, but thats what warez servers are all about.
  • lol i bet a ftp server with a 56k modem wouldnt get many leechers
  • Not unless it had some unique/in demand/hot stuff on it.

-Q
  • I waited a week on 1K connections to get these old Elf albums.

If you truley want something, you will wait on a 1K connections.
  • I'm STILL waiting on the QNX 6.2.1 download that's been in my queue for like ~
  • make a poll
  • OK, noone respond to that question, I'll make a spereate poll somewhere else.

So, how's the DL coming?

-Q
  • 16%
    1:28:37 Elapsed Time
    1:30:19 Left
    91.38kb/sec

Would panther run OK on a 333/192MB RAM iMac? I have a feeling I should keep 9.22...
  • Q wrote:
    So Fish does NOT run my FTP, put stuff on it, administrate it, pay for any of the operating costs etc etc and as such his ethic holds as much wieght on this Comcast loop as mine does on his DSLAM. Does that mean I disgree with him? Depends on what the view is, but saying "Fish says this!" doesn't make me agree to it or have to.

-Q

LOL! Fish says this!

I said that warez servers are going to get leechers, no matter how hard you try to stop it when jcmoor complained that I downloaded 1.6GB off him without uploading anything.... I have people get hundreds of gigs off me without uploading, and I never complain, but thats what warez servers are all about.
    I didn't "complain". And you consider downloading MacOS 10.3 off of Q's server legal?
  • It's not legal... I have no problem with that... Are you going to tell my mommy?
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    It's not legal... I have no problem with that... Are you going to tell my mommy?
    No, im not saying it like that :P I'm just trying to find Fish's point.
  • so there :P
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    16%
    1:28:37 Elapsed Time
    1:30:19 Left
    91.38kb/sec

Would panther run OK on a 333/192MB RAM iMac? I have a feeling I should keep 9.22...
    My Mac is 1.42Ghz/512MB RAM... supposedly Panther is a dog on 256MB ram. There's G3's at school with OS X (10.1)... not sure about RAM. The 400MHz G4's run fine with 384MB at school.

I think you might need to run this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60384
  • with 128MB, OSX would run "OK", so 192MB shouldn't be too bad.
  • Word of warning, Mac Firmware updates can really screw you over if you're not careful (And I'm not talking about bad flashes/updates). Be sure you read between the lines.

O and about memory, I'm not sure. The iMac here has 320 and it goes irritatingly slowly, but we're not sure if that's fragmentation.

-Q
  • That's just MacOS. It's sluggish.
  • On the FTP note, If you don;t want people to leech it then don't give out the login info or if you want people to upload in return set it they have to upload so much frist before they can download a file.
  • Steve wrote:
    That's just MacOS. It's sluggish.

Hum, no. If it
  • Well I talked to my Computer teacher and I found a stick of 64MB RAM, so that leaves me with 256MB and he said I can have 10.2 (Jaguar???) So i dont need Panther afterall... He said it would run really slow... Ive been updating from 9.04 to 9.1 to 9.21 to 9.22... Uhh. That's alot of updates!