Dual's RAM surgery.

edited February 2005 in Hardware
Hello everyone. I have a computer so aptly named Dual for it's dual pentium pro cpus (200Mhz each) that I wanted to upgrade the ram in. It uses EDO ram, OK, so I ebay for it and buy four 128MB sticks (the computers max is that). I got the ram today, tried to place it in, but the notch a few pins after pin 1 doesn't align with the plastic in the slots. I figured... this was the result of an IBM thing... so I just took a small screw driver and scraped the plasic out. The pins matched, it wasn't that I got the wrong ram type or anything, it was just the notch not aligning. Ok, so I place a stick in by itself and try to boot, doesn't. I think maybe they have to be paired put another one in, nothing. So I try leaving two in there, and putting on of the original sticks in, it boots.

The original ram had ECC and the new stuff doesn't even have parity, so the system configured it all for non parity (which it supported). So I place a third new stick in. So it seems that 420MB is the most I can get currently get. One of the new sticks actually has a pin completely gone.. so that stick probably doesn't even work. So it comes time for me to go past the POST/BIOS and let windows (2000) boot. It does the black screened portion fine, but when it came time to go into the logo portion, it locks up. I tried a few times, no luck. I removed one of the new sticks and placed one of the initial ones back in, so I had two new and two old. Windows booted past the logo portion, then blue screened. I would really like my money to not go to waste as the ram is good to some extent. The bios has been updated to it's newest version.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty much stuck... I'd hate to have to try buying ram again.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [OT]

That a Photoshop job, or did that board have 3 different RAM slots on it?

[/OT]

-Q
  • I had a stock pile of IBM and they used 72pin and 168pin modules. All of them uses a diffrent type of setup from standard memory 3rd party and some name brand memory modules. Like the 2nd knoch that wingzeroismine expllaned about. Also goes for Tom's point but at the same time the manual I got for them and it said that it can only use the IBM memory modules. Some companys do this so they can make more money by making you buy their product. By the end they end up making a standard for the PC like the PS\2 ports and such or 3rd party companys make some money by making compatable products that cost a bit less or more.
  • Eh... I gave it a shot because unlike your DDR1/DD2 idea, these are pin compatible, just that notch doesn't align. Both are EDO ram types. Plus, the manual says it accepts ECC and non ECC. Plus the auction didn't specify which type it was, and since I have never dealt with EDO ram before, I was not expecting a fraction of an inch difference to appear.
    000_0302.jpg
  • I think the rest of us knew that...

-Q
  • This is what I got from two documents at IBM's website
    The first is the manual itself, the second a listing of all memory types models used.

System Memory
    Four dual inline memory module (DIMM) connectors are provided on the system board. The DIMM
    connectors are powered by + 3.3 volts. Each DIMM connector is a 168-pin, gold-lead socket. For the pin
    assignments, see "System Memory Connectors" on page 30.
    The system board supports:
    . A maximum of 512 MB (128 MB modules in all four connectors).
    . Dynamic random access memory (DRAM) only.
    . 64-bit (EDO) and 72-bit (ECC) wide memory modules.
    Any configuration of DIMMs is acceptable. Characteristics required by DIMMs include:
    . 168-pin, unbuffered +3 V modules only.
    . Gold-lead tabs only.
    . 60 nanosecond access speeds only.
    . Height of no more than 3.81 cm (1.5 in.).
    . To enable error-correcting code, all installed memory must be of the ECC type (a combination of ECC and nonparity types is configured as nonparity)
    Note: Single inline memory modules (SIMMs) are not supported in the PC 365.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.ws ... us&lang=en
    PC 365
    Pentium Pro models
    180/200MHz
    Type 6589 16MB
    32MB
    512MB
    Maximum 60ns EDO Non parity or Parity or ECC industry standard

According to this... the ram I have is a match. It is EDO, it is 168 pinned, it is gold-lead, it is DRAM DIMMs, it is Non parity, minus the slight notch difference it is detected by the system as useable, it is just that windows doesn't handle it.
  • (Dumb question) You sure it was the right way around?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    (Dumb question) You sure it was the right way around?

-Q
    Hahah... I know I matched them up right... the notch and the plastic are right next to eachother... (ok.. if that made no sense, at least I wasn't putting them in backwards).